Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Composting In An Old Freezer — The Grow Network Community
The plants have enough spirit to transform our limited vision.

- Rosemary Gladstar

Composting In An Old Freezer

greyfurballgreyfurball Southeastern PennsylvaniaPosts: 457 ✭✭✭✭

My garden just keeps growing each year so my needs for a good quality compost keeps growing larger also. And I'm just not willing to spend all that money the box stores and online sources want for some 10 lb bags (or smaller) of good compost.

So earlier this Summer I heard about building the compost pile in an old chest freezer. The concept seemed like a pretty good idea to me so I decided to try it.

I've had my bin going now for 3 months approximately and the results so far have been spectacular. But you have to remember, that 3 months has been compared to the normal way of building a compost pile out in the 3 bin system. So to me this freezer method sure does have it's advantages.

(I didn't give up on the 3 bin system... as I said I need a lot of compost now)

My worms seem to be happy because their bedding is being broken down and they are delightfully making me the most superior soil I've ever had in my 4 years of gardening.

I've read to expect only having to empty the freezer once a year but there is no way I am going to have to wait that long. Even now, at only 3 months I can tell I have some beautiful composted soil already ready to be harvested at the bottom of my freezer.

So is anyone else doing this? If so, do you have any suggestions for me since this is a complete trial and error process for me. I'm the one who would NEVER touch a worm when I was a kid. Now I've got thousands of them for pets.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have because I sure do hope I can make this project stay an ongoing success.