Are you prepared?
Heard on the news about the power outages out west. Last year after the hurricane some places were out for weeks/months. Are you prepared if you were to lose power for 1, 2, 10, 20 days? The winter of '93 we had 36" of heavy wet snow. It took trees, power lines, sub stations. We lost power for 7 days. We have a deep well (280') no power no water. We melted all the snow in our yard 1 bucket full at a time to have water. We had only lived in the country for about 6 months, so we never thought of all the things you use electrity for.
Do you have enough water? If you live in the country you already know that you will need this but if you have town/city water you may never have been out. So what will you do if your town has no water?
1 gal per person in your family unless you have a baby, than more. Enough to last 3 day or more. If someone has medical needs that use water, have extra.
If you have advance warning, fill the bath tub, buckets, every container your not using. Some people keep trash cans for just this, so they are clean, ready to be filled. You can add drops of plain clorox, not scented/colored, to help keep it fresh for long term storage.
Filters if you are thinking of using water from a stream or rain water. Never drink water that has not been running thru filters or pureified.
Check out: ready.gov, beprepared.com, redcross.org, fema.gov to find out what you need in your plan so your family is prepared.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter