Are you prepared - food?
In the storm where we were out of electric for 7 days, a friend was without for 28 days - over Christmas. She keep her freezer full of food frozen by wrapping it in wool blankets and sleeping bags. She opened it only to get meat for cooking once a week. Only lost bread that was at the top, everything else stayed frozen. We keep the frig cool by placing buckets of snow/ice on each shelf. Only opening to grab what you needed. In/out fast. Try to use up any food like lunch meat, leftovers for the first meals without power. You DO NOT want to try to keep stuff for long. DO NOT use mayo, creamy salid dressings etc. unless you are sure they have stayed cold enough. Stuff in the frig - freezer will not keep long, use up quickly. The buckets keep it cool but not cold enough, you do not want your family getting food poision on top of no power. And, the rule of when in doubt, throw it out definitely applies here. So try to cook enough to feed everyone but not have a big pots of leftovers.
Gather disposable plates, plasticware, cups, aluminum foil pans and a cooler to make meal cleanup easier. You need to think about what food you can cook quickly or not at all.
- Soups, canned beans or canned meat
- Graham crackers with peanut butter or almond butter.
- Protein shakes – my favorite is Reserveage Organics (in chocolate, of course!)
- Saltines with peanut butter.
- Fresh or dried fruit (apples, oranges, bananas) Canned or packed cups of fruit
- Canned, bottled juices, V-8, Sports drinks.
- Trail mix (this is our favorite), granuls bars or nuts
- Dry cereal.
- Cereal with rehydrated dry milk or shelf milk
Do not forget to have a manuel can opener.
Do you have a cook stove, camp stove, woodburner? DO NOT USE grill or cook stoves inside the house.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter