strange plant in my garden

nksunshine27
nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Growing Medicinals

I have identified a plant in my garden that i have never seen before not even in the area around me nor in the farm fields, i have identified it to be Chinese jute or velvet leaf, here is where my problem lies..... it has medicinal properties as a dysentery and opacity of the cornea, fevers and urinary incontinence, , the leaves can be used for ulcers. ok now her is the kicker, its a very invasive weed it causes havick with crops like corn (34% crop loss )to an extreme severity. the seeds are viable up to 50 years. now my delema destroy the plant or keep it. is there another plant that does the same as it?

Comments

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

After my experience with beefsteak mint, I would destroy the plant. There are other medicinal plants that cover the maladies listed.

If I had paid more attention and done more research on the beefsteak mint when I first noticed it years ago and far away from my goat's areas, I would have avoided the enormous task of eradicating the plant facing me now. From the first time meeting the plant in question, I did not like it, I found it's odor repulsive and it's appearance unpleasant. Never had I had that reaction to any green thing, I nurture stinging nettle and adore burdock, plants that many find noxious. In the future, I will listen closer to my intuition (probably while I spending the many hours that will be needed pulling the plant LOL). Another lesson learned on many levels.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@merlin44 with watching and listening to so much about herbs and gardening I have to agree with you that you should “go with your instinct”. I think too many times we shrug that feeling off when maybe it needs a little more consideration; it’s good to have that reminder....

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

Other than using it for the cornea, Lady’s Mantle (Achemilla mollis) May be used. It also has similar plant features such as the rounded velvet leaf texture and yellow cluster flowers, if you happen to love the look of it. In addition to GI functions it stops bleeding and is very beneficial for menstrual regulation.

There are many other plants that can be used to help in the areas you listed, I only mentioned Lady’s Mantle because of their similar look.

Any plant that is overly noxious in your garden/area will cause more headaches than healing. And since the velvetleaf self seeds, you may carry this “weed” into even more sensitive areas in your region on your shoes and tires or washing it “downstream” into neighboring gardens with irrigation and rain storms. Please consider this as well when you decide to remove/destroy the plant.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

What I do with valuable herbs that are also invasive weeds is to propagate some in containers. Usually, that takes experimentation - transplants, cuttings, seeds... finding what works. That way, I can even grow kudzu without it taking over. I keep them on a screened porch, so I don't have to worry about seeds spreading.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given the high potential for unintended consequences to the agricultural community, I'd have to destroy it before it gets established. I don't think it's ethical to grow something that could wipe out someone's crop.

For my own personal use, I tend to stick with the common herbs, and not work with the unusual. I'd leave this one to a professional herbalist anyway.

• nksunshine27

Thank you all for your comments and help, my original feelings towards the plant was to let it grow it looks like a wild sunflower when it first starts out then it had these cute little yellow/orange flowers and the softest leaves so when it went to seed i cut the seed pod off while still green, then searched the internet for what it was, that's when i came across the peculiar fix for the corneas. i realize there are other plants for the other properties.

dont worry i never let any of the seed pods turn brown so they could sprout and i'm diggin it up and burning it so it doesnt spread. heaven forbid i start a epidemic of a noxious weed.

the thing that really had me wondering about this particular plant as it isnt even supposed to be in our state and where it came from and why did it show up in my garden did it have apurpose? anyway its no more. i did save some seeds to maybe grow in a contained situation and not let it go to seed.

• Chris A.
    Chris A. Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

As to where it came from ... perhaps bird droppings ... they can carry seeds from amazing places. I have dealt with several noxious weeds because I won't let my hubby "nuke" them. I would rather weed them out over time than put another chemical in the ground that does more harm than good. However, I did find out that some things when you burn them, like cheat grass, causes the seeds to explode and spread so I found out that fire isn't always the answer to trying to eradicate something. Gosh, I learn something new every day!!! I have a lot of cheat grass, so the good side is that the animals can graze it until the seed heads get to the point where they will cause problems with the animals.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pat Thanks for the info on the cheat grass. I know it is a bad thing to have in case of wildfires, so my husband cut it down with a weed trimmer. We did it to create a fire buffer around the house. Unfortunately, this was out in the natural part of our property so I'm sure he didn't get it all raked up. Next year we will have to cut it down before it goes to seed.

Staying harmonious with nature by not using poisons does involve lots more work.

• nksunshine27

yes i know that fire causes cheat grass to grow even better. it is different than fox tails in that aspect, but when i talk about burning to dispose of this particular plant im going to put it in the burn barrel where nothing survives the hot fire