How many use food grade DE in their yard and garden?
I have used it for the last 7 years in my yard for flea and tick control. It does work superb (overtime) controlling those. Thus since I have a lot of wild/feral and dumped cats on my property it has been a major help to all of them also.
In my garden, I'm more selective. I try really hard to find other control measures first (never anything chemical based-only organics). And I also steer clear of things like Neem Oil and BT bacillus only as a last resort (thus I've never used them yet although I do have them. When I was a newbie to gardening I didn't know any better not to purchase them.)
But occasionally the climate becomes a detrimental factor in gardening and this year was one of them. All kinds of things went wrong all because I could not control the climatic changes which were hurting some of the plants.
And although DE doesn't help with plant disease, the stress and loss of immunity made more plants more susceptible to pests.
Since DE is detrimental though to almost all pests that means when I use it in the garden, I'm not only killing off the bad pests...I'm killing off the good also. So to date my solution has only been I will only use DE in the garden as low as possible on each plant. Never will I sprinkle it higher up where there is blossoms.
Now I know that might sound non-productive to many. I've often been told if it helps, sprinkle it all over. But I can't make myself create another problem (kill off all my pollinators and good bugs) just so I can get rid of the troublesome ones.
So has anyone else who grows organically figured out a solution for this in their garden?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 36 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 29 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 367 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 467 Current Events & Breaking News
- 53 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 540 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 401 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 110 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter