world famous banana pudding.....?

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the way my mom made it - layer vanilla wafers in a shallow bowl, slice bananas on top of that, then pour on a box of banana pudding - the cooked kind - made according to directions, while it's still warm so the vanilla wafers get a little soft. My Alabama friend stirs some sour cream into hers, and that's good, too. You could make a lot this way for $54.00!

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle

Here is what led me to their website:

Yeah, I went to their website to see what I could find. Was only looking not shopping. I like to make my own stuff, lots cheaper. But this video gives you a little clue into how they do it, then when you look at the companies website, they actually list the ingredients....

Kinda like Noosa yogart. Not too hard to copy. I did, got close and it tastes soo good without the additives of Noosa. Same concept.

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Whipping cream and vanilla pudding, is it? Not healthy food, not good for teeth, or gut-microbiome. & cookies? Ask Chef AJ, she will make it , as good, no sugar, oil, salt & then try Brand New Vegan (on facebook)......healthy means making some effort, not falling into 'The Pleasure Trap'...Be well!

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

Always loved banana pudding, remember well the soft vanilla wafers lining the bowl. Way of eating is much different now, no bovine, no gluten, no sugar. Anybody have a recipe for that kind of banana pudding?

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved banana pudding in my youth. Of course, it gave me nightmares of volcanoes erupting and water overflowing....I would wake up nauseated.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I make mine the old fashioned way - the way my grandmother made it I make a real custard, with fresh eggs, milk, vanilla and bananas (I like a shot of bourbon in it, too.. but my grandmother didn't do that) I do use 'nilla wafers... but, I want to learn to make my own since they don't use real vanilla or quality ingredients - Alton Brown did a from scratch version and made his own cookies; I'll have to take notes next time that episode airs.

• silvertipgrizz

I love Alton Brown. Esp the show he did on salt some years back. And his home made sugared ginger...

Yes I like the old fashioned recipe too.

Do you share her recipe?

• judsoncarroll4

Sure. When I get back home I'll dig out the old recipe book so I can give you the correct amounts of everything.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@judsoncarroll4 I am looking forward to It! Homemade is the best, and anything with good farm cream is so scrumptiously healthy & satisfying!

The only banana pudding I am familiar with (besides homemade banana cream pie filling), is the bought stuff. There is no way I'd touch that anymore!

@2majomix My grandfather & great grandfather used to drink milk fresh from their cows & drink tall glass-fulls of cream. They both lived well into their 90s and were sharp as could be. My grandfather was 93 and would still go chop a cord of wood by hand. Not many folks can say/do that! The health factor really depends on raw (fed naturally & treated properly as cows should be...outside, no chemical interventions & supplements) vs. processed dairy (which is so bad on so many levels). There is a very huge difference in how the body reacts to & can/cannot use it.

• judsoncarroll4

@Laurie Ditto on your comment - my great grandparents, who were traditional southern farmers, all lived into their late 90s, never went to doctors and were all strong and healthy. All meat, veggies, fruit, dairy and honey were either produced on their own farms or were taken from the wild. Unpasteurized milk, butter, lard, daily consumption of pork.. even tobacco and home brew didn't shorten their lives.

• silvertipgrizz

@judsoncarroll4

Thank you so much.

If you like salsa, I posted my recipe for that some time ago. It does not require cooking and is really good.

The best to you.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @judsoncarroll4 Exactly how my grandparents lived too (minus the lard), & millions of others, surely. They never went to a doctor either, & both quietly left earth in their sleep one night: how it is supposed to be, Healthy until death. -- (Unless the world doesn't last that long, & it's Grim now) - but if I had a Choice in the matter, I would like to for sure live past 100 (or better yet) to 125 sounds about right LOL I think that would be so Kewl.... And I agree that it's Not how long 1 lives, but the Quality of Life, & I'm doing my best to yet make my/our finest dreams come True 🤩

• judsoncarroll4
    edited October 2019

@rainbow Since you said "minus the lard", I wonder if your family kept kosher? I grew up with a lot of eastern European Jewish families and really fell in love with the food. Schmaltz/chicken fat is really wonderful stuff when it comes from healthy, naturally raised birds. Goose and duck far are even better when used in moderation - wow, that stuff it rich! Judging by all the little old ladies who used to feed me because I was "too skinny" as a kid, poultry fat, cabbage and dill pickles may be a veritable fountain of youth... and since my girlfriend is 23 years younger than me, I'm shooting for at least 100!

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@judsoncarroll4 - No, we are not Jewish. - And for all I know, maybe we did eat lard; but I don't remember that. - I can recall my Childhood like it was yesterday. In fact truth be told, I live AS a child however much I can get away with it, still well-behaved (except for swearing, lol).

Oh, I think another FUN Discussion is in the making 🤩 later today maybe, or next week.

• judsoncarroll4
    edited October 2019

@silvertipgrizz , @Laurie , @rainbow, etc. Sorry for the delay, but here is the basic recipe. You can vary it and you'll need to experiment to get the consistency the way you like it. I basically just have some notes on how my grandmother made it, and kind of wing it each time, so I found the closest formal recipe to hers I could find in a book called Southern Cooking by Henrietta Dull, published in the 1920s - Mrs. Dull was the food/home ec. editor for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. I collect old cookbooks, BTW.

"4 bananas

3 eggs

1 tablespoon butter

1 cup milk

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

Mash bananas, add milk, sugar, butter and yolk of eggs. Cook in a double boiler until thick. Make a meringue out of the egg whites using 3 tablespoons extra sugar. Spread the meringue on top of the pudding, bake in the oven until the meringue browns."

My grandmother never mashed her bananas. She made a vanilla custard and then chopped bananas into it while hot. Cook the custard on a very low heat - you do not want scrambled eggs! Many people "scald" or bring the milk to a boil in a separate pot and then temper the eggs by adding just a little hot milk at a time while whisking vigorously. (the recipe I found in the Progressive Farmer Southern Cookbook uses that technique) Either way, be sure to whisk vigorously - the old recipes can really give you a workout! A little cream of tarter helps the meringue come together. Whisk the egg whites until you have stiff peaks. Fresh eggs are a must for a good meringue, btw. Line a baking or casserole dish with 'Nilla wafers, spoon the custard over the cookies, then spread the meringue over the custard and bake until nicely brown. I usually use the broiler for that - it doesn't take long. I like using raw sugar, btw and a little bourbon. With a little experimentation, you could probably use other sweeteners. I think molasses would be fantastic, but I haven't tried it yet. Sugar is hydroscopic, so a sweetener in a liquid/syrup form would have different properties... if anyone uses molasses, honey or cane syrup and figures out how to get the right consistency in the custard and meringue, let me know - thanks and good luck!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@judsoncarroll4 Thank you! I look forward to trying it when our store gets organic bananas back in. 😋

• judsoncarroll4

My pleasure! Cooking is my true passion - always glad to talk for or share a recipe.

• silvertipgrizz

@judsoncarroll4

I can tell you like to cook. So did my dad.

I always temper my eggs. And my meringue always whips up nice and stiff. The trick I learned when I was not very old was to make sure the bowl and beaters were free of any fats. I mostly make meringue with my lemon meringue pies. My fav.

I like your idea on the molasses. If you haen't tried 'golden barrel' you don't know what you are missing. I use that in my oatmeal cookies and it has great flavor.

You might go to Amazon and look up 'the ratio' cookbook by a guy that's a baker, and his book is full of ratio's which is exactly how I like to cook/bake, that is,knowing enough so I can create my own recipes. After reading your recipe remarks I think you would really enjoy that.

Did you find the salsa recipe I posted? No cooking, just a food processor. If you want it and you can't find it let me know and I'll write it for you.

Thanks for this recipe... I"m going to try it like your grandmother did... I don't want my bananas mashed lol.

Also, if you have never tried 'banana split cake' I will give you that recipe too if you want it.

The best to you

• judsoncarroll4

@silvertipgrizz I did get that salsa recipe - thanks! But now I'm craving lemon meringue pie! I really don't have a big sweet tooth, but I do love lemon... other than that, I could basically live on onions and meat - I always say that gravy is my favorite food.

• silvertipgrizz

@judsoncarroll4

If you like lemon, then you would prolly like broccoli and holandaise sauce. My recipe for that is in the old and not so old verson of better homes and gardens cook book and it is made in a double boiler and is heavenly. I just steam my broccoli to my preference an douse it with hollandaise lol.

My lemon meringue recipe is in the same cook book. The same recipe my mother used, I have used for years. Is very good. I use real butter in all recipes calling for butter. Not the oleo as it was called and is listed in those older cook books.