Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Downsizing — The Grow Network Community
Public victory comes from private discipline.

- Manny Pacquiao

Downsizing

monica197monica197 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

How have you downsized?

I have been downsizing my closet contents for a few years now and selling things in garage sales. This past year I have downsized me (went on a diet :-) )! To end the year I am finishing up all of my WWF games and erasing the app from my phone in an effort to downsize technology use.

Comments

• gardneto76gardneto76 Posts: 254 ✭✭✭

@monica197 congratulations on downsizing both yourself and your closet! Keep up the great work.

I have downsized by getting rid of most of my stuff from my previous profession, teaching. I gave thousands of classroom books to a friends school library. I donated all my “classroom supplies” to an organization that helps support teachers by selling the items super cheap year round to teacher. Most of it is $5/reusable grocery bag full, and you can fit a lot of school supplies in there. Any clothes I no longer needed or wanted went to another organization that helps needy families. The bad thing is I still have way to much stuff and need to downsize again. It seems to be a normal thing when going from a consumerism lifestyle to a minimalist life style. I am trying to tackle 1 spot at a time so it is less overwhelming.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texasseeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I think downsizing is a process for most of us, one I'm going through myself as well. I was raised by parents who grew up during the depression. Dad repurposed nearly everything but ended up with a ton of miscellaneous stuff that rusted out, disintegrated etc.; he grew up on a farm. My mom grew up in town and not having enough to eat so she was determined none of us would be hungry; we were pushed to eat. So I've ended up with too much "stuff" and too much weight lol. But I'm working on both, and while progress isn't fast I AM making progress. I'm transforming my life one day at a time. I think this may be the case for many of us here. And I am so glad to be a part of a group who encourage and support each other through this thing called life.

• ines871ines871 zn8APosts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

@seeker.nancy - re "So I've ended up with too much "stuff", and too much weight lol. But I'm working on both, and while progress isn't fast I AM making progress. I'm transforming my life one day at a time. " Yeah, & Good for you !

I did something this year I have never before done: let the housework slide, & not just a little either. I dare not admit how bad it got. How embarrassing. - Normally, there's a place for all essentials, & everything (but a little box for Filing, that's Filed in its proper place monthly) is in its Asigned place. Um, that all went to h... this year. - Well, until I came to my senses. Boy what a mess! to get back to how I've previously lived, so well organized.

And re the 'weight': at 5'4 to 5" Normally am a healthy 110 max, as a good little sk8er. - Um, of course blamed the extra nasty 26 lbs. on the fact that it's been too long since hit the ice, so obviously I had to come to my senses there too. Currently still 9 (to11) over. - Yet would still be 110 had I continued my Intermittent Fasting; but oh no, my "food-passion" was too tempting. And now with winter coming, & my All-time favorite meal = Thanksgiving, am in for quite the challenge, aren't I, sigh. - So it comes down to this: which is gonna Win: the indulgent food-passion, or the Sk8-passion ? We shall see.

• monica197monica197 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

One of the things that has come with the territory in downsizing method my clothes don't fit anymore and when I am getting a new pair of pants, for example I replace 3 or 4 pairs with ONE PAIR. Automatic downsizing in the closet. It has been great!