School subjects

Answers

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Awesome! Can't wait to check this out further. Thanks for sharing. :)

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hassena

You are very welcome!

• silvertipgrizz

@rainbow

You're up late. Oh, I am too lol.

Have to be up at 0600 to get trash to the curb.

I hope your day was good.

Hugs 😫

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Oh this is really great. I love how almost anyone in the world can get an amazing education for free via the internet. I was truent for much of elementary school and I dropped out of high school before completing the 10th grade. I was a 'self taught unschooler' LOL. I made extensive use of the public library and the books from the thrift shop. So I love that these resources are even easier now.

Hey, I am going to learn to speak Spanish. Anyone have any suggestions for their favorite learning system?

Marjory

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

That's incredible Marjory. I wasn't a fan of traditional schooling, i completed highschool barely. It wasn't until college in my 30's that I enjoyed school. It was a healing arts herbal school, so it was easy to love. :)

I've enjoyed learning new languages, spainish and arabic though cd's. I don't recall the name, however hearing the words and seeing it spellt helped immensely. Listening to spainish music helped too.

best of luck.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft I found Rosetta Stone has easy to understand lessons. Unfortunately, I didn't keep up my practice so have forgotten most of it now.

• silvertipgrizz

@Marjory Wildcraft

Many years ago I took a summer course in Spanish. Our instructor was from Spain and spoke fluently in both English and Spanish. He made learning Spanish so easy. Our textbook was 'Como Se Dice' for which I have lost. That text book was fabulous. It was a 5 credit hour course and the book was encompassing enough to meet the class needs including 'conversational' as well as every day words and pronunciation. Oh and phrases common, such as 'what time is it', what day of the week is it' and so on. I am quite sure I am not giving it the full justice it deserves as that was back in 1995 give or take. The book is still on Amazon and other places. Presently it is quite expensive last I looked. Esp the edition I had understandably as it is older.

Also I bought Rosetta Stone about 5 years ago and I think it would have been a reasonable program at the least, but I had to down load a bunch of stuff I wasn't interested in before the program would let me don anything ele. I was more interested in getting to the meat of what and how but that had to be downloaded first so I should have just returned it.

There is another company out there that is liked by many as well. I can't remember it's name but I suggest:

do some searches on Amazon, not to buy initially, but as a chance to see what is available there so you can read the reviews. That always helps me when I am choosing a particular topic/book form or otherwise.

I think the program was Babel??? I was told they are different in their learning formats.

I hope this helps some.

To me Spanish is a very beautiful language and it was much easier to learn than English with all its graphing verbs pronouns etc...and dangling participals. Gratefully my English teacher graded me fairly lol...and I got through it.

In case this might help, if in no other way at first, know this:

A E I O U.....all English speaking know the sounds for each of these vowels. Knowing the appropriate sound of the very same vowels, in Spanish will help to make Spanish even easier, and actually helps me to read it, even though I only took the one class, I had a fluent speaking American born friend who also spoke fluent in both languages and he taught me this that has served me for a very long time, being one of the fundamentals of speaking Spanish just like in English...

A pronounced Aw, as in ... walk, hawk, and so on

E pronounced: A, as in ..... cane, vane, and so on

I Pronounced: E, as in .... weed, seed, and so on

O pronounced: O, as in .... rope, soap, and so on

U pronounced: OO, as in ... cool, spool, and so on

The best to you😁

• silvertipgrizz

@Marjory Wildcraft

I found this on a web site of a you tuber I watch sometimes. On speaking languages, including Spanish.... free:

• silvertipgrizz

@Marjory Wildcraft

Ok, I just did the first lesson and it was fun and easy.

Have fun with it if you decide to have a look.

The best to you

• silvertipgrizz

@Marjory Wildcraft

One last bit of info for you on the 'duo lingo':

if you just type in ... duo lingo, just like that.. in doing so, I got a google search page full of info on the web site so you can assess the platforms credibility.

I will post their web site in a new discussion for anyone interested to have a look.

The best to you