Homeopathy for Cataracts

merlin44
merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Health

The ophthalmologist informed me I have cataracts. I'm assuming he believes I do, not really convinced myself as except for the nearsightedness I've worn glasses for since I was 10 years old, I have no symptoms. The thought of having that type of eye surgery is in the not ever going to happen category for me (and yes, he was ready to schedule the surgery even though I have no symptoms). Deciding the best route is to be proactive at 64 years old, I'm using Cineraria Eye Drops and oral pellets. Apparently, this homeopathic remedy is used throughout the world with favorable results. Anyone have any experience with treating cataracts holistically?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@merlin44 My resources list 139 different remedies for cataracts. Cineraria is one of the top ones and it might be the right remedy for you, but as homeopathy treats the whole person, you need to see a practitioner to narrow down those 139 to the one that best suits your individual symptoms. I agree with your thoughts that delaying surgery until you have explored other options might be better. There was a very interesting presentation on TNG's recent summit by Greg Marsh. speaking about the Bates Method. This is not to treat cataracts but might help improve eyesight.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too have early cataracts with no symptoms. The only difference for me is that I need brighter lights at night. I will be very interested in this thread because I will have the surgery before I let cataracts blind me. I am also fighting macular degeneration.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

@torey The world of homeopathic remedies is daunting. The eye drops I'm using contain Cineraria Maritima (Dusty Miller) the most common remedy used for cataracts, especially effective in the early stages, Euprasia (Eyebright) a tonic for the eyes and 5 additional remedies that are specific for cataracts with varied symptoms. The difficulty I had in choosing a remedy is I could not find a recommendation for cataracts with no symptoms so I sought to cover the basics. Holistic practitioners in my area are nonexistent.

Historically, Dr. Bate's work was toward prevention and is most effective before the use of corrective lens or if one can function without them.

@shllnzl Are you treating your cataracts or macular degeneration? I'd be interested in learning of additional holistic treatments.

• shllnzl

@merlin44 I am treating for macular degeneration by taking vitamins, the only known help for the condition. I buy the Preserve Mac Forte brand, a vitamin mix developed by a doctor with the condition. It meets the AREDS 2 criteria plus has so many additional nutrients that I was able to drop other vitamins I was taking for joint support.

Until your posting I was unaware that there was anything that could be done for cataracts besides wearing sunglasses. I will have to check my health food store for the homeopathic remedies.

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

My husband just came home yesterday and mentioned they (the VA hospital) was pushing for him to schedule an appt within the next six months to work on his cataracts. News to me... as some background, any medical condition my husband has he is a big baby. So the chances of him not hearing about this before is slim to none.

And since he has no symptoms, well it's amazing to me how he needs surgery already.

So has anyone came up with any other options here or narrowed down the overall encompassing homeopathic remedy? Before I start looking into what's available/what's not I would like to know more about what I am talking about... or what is being suggested to me. Thanks

• shllnzl

I find it interesting that the doctors are suggesting surgery before there are any debilitating symptoms. I too was asked by my doctor if I was ready for surgery. He said night blindness was a noticeable symptom; my response to him was that I always had trouble seeing at night.

I was really blind the last time I drove at night. My mother lost most of her color vision to cataracts, so I am thinking I may be good until that starts to happen.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

I have been using Can-C eye drops in order to avoid cataracts. Both my mother and my grandmother had dismal outcomes from cataract surgery and I really don't want to go that route. That being said, my husband desperately needed cataract surgery and he had a good outcome, so for some it seems fine.

The active ingredient in Can-C is N-Acetylcarnosine. I believe this is approved for veterinary use as a cataract preventative, but I could be mistaken.

In general, doctors do seem to be rushing surgery. My husband was really pressured to have some non-emergency surgery a year ago. We did some lifestyle changes and herbs and he is fine. He had a recheck yesterday and all of his test results were really good. The doctor said he doesn't have to come back for a year.

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

I am 50 and just had an eye exam the other day and was notified I had early signs of cataracts. I don't have any noticeable symptoms. I'll be looking into herbs and nutritional remedies...I'm not trained at all in homeopathy but open to it as well. I'm frankly more concerned about the floaters, which are quite noticeable. I add some carrot powder to the buckwheat I have in the morning but I could probably be doing more for my eye health.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Not homeopathic, but I just happened to be reading Saint Hildegard of Bingen's advice on cataracts:

"Anyone with blurry, cloudy eyes (beginning of cataracts) should rub the eyelids often with with grape drops, which run out of the vine after cutting, and allow a little to run into the eye"

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

My surgery for cataract went well until the Dr said, "Uh, oh," at which I promptly said, "what is wrong". (I had to have anesthetic in my eye and not any anesthesia like a general. I am very allergic to anesthetic. Dr. said, "the anesthetic wore off". I still didn't feel a thing but my eye must have moved or something. My cataract surgery was very successful.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Glad the surgery went well. I always recommend the surgery to people versus the homeopathic route for cataracts.

Eyesight is something I will never play around with, mine or someone else's. One of the true medical emergencies (loss of life, eyesight).

Homeopathic is great for a lot of things, but also dangerous if used improperly. Modern medicine does have its merits!