Kratom

merlin44
merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

From my reading, it seems kratom could be a valuable ally in breaking the opioid addiction that is plaguing this country, not to mention a myriad of other uses. Is the push to make it illegal another lobbying effort by the pharmaceutical companies who would prefer people continue to take their chemicals?

Does anyone have any experience with kratom use?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Here is a link to an interview with Michael Tierra, who has been using kratom in his practice.

https://www.thepracticalherbalist.com/podcasts/show-130-michael-tierra-kratom-trial/

I know there have been reports of people using kratom recreationally and a small percentage might have issues with it, but that can happen with any drug, herbal or pharmaceutical, that people start to use recreationally or outside its regular medical applications.

Its a strange plant in that (from what I have read), it has different effects at differing doses. Mild stimulant at lower doses and sedative and pain relieving at higher doses.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited November 2019

I have no personal experience with it, but have known a couple of people who use it regularly - one is an alcoholic and the other a "recovering" (on again off again) pill addict. One is female, one is male - both have serious anger issues. Both abuse it. I believe that every herb has legitimate uses, but some such as opium, definitely have potential for abuse. Perhaps if used by a serious minded person, especially under the guidance of an herbalist, kratom could help addicts... but the two I know who use it are substituting one intoxicant for another. The young woman takes it (probably with other substances) in such a way that she doesn't remember her weekends. The guy may be taking lower doses, but his behavior becomes sullen and agitated - his family believes that he may be physically abusing his wife again. BTW, both of those folks have major emotional issues stemming from being abandoned by their fathers as children - one from divorce, one who just didn't want to marry and have the responsibility of a family. From what I have read, most of the addiction, crime and emotional/mental health issues in America stem from the disintegration of the family... maybe the root issues should be addressed at least as much as the symptoms.... but saying anything against divorce, promiscuity or in favor of the traditional family and morality is heresy in modern culture... not tolerated by the tolerant.

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Kratom is a tricky one...it works on the brain's opioid receptors. If one were to quit kratom, then s/he is likley to have withdrawal symptoms of quitting cold turkey opioid use. That's something to consider when/if you choose to utilize kratom.

My husband was taking it for back pain. He quit because of it's intensity of withdrawls. It was painful to watch the detox process. Everyone is likley to react differently. The path of healing is long and filled with potholes.

Good points on the family structure. A lot of what a person chooses to do is based on coping mechanisms. How they want to feel and what they've felt to be their normal. If someone is used to feeling bad, then that's unfortunately their norm. They continually seek ways to get back to their version of norm, until they are ready to make change.,

• jjocean
    jjocean Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

Good comments. I choose never to use an addictive substance (caffeine excepted).

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Sometimes when people are in great pain it is a matter of balancing risk vs benefit. While Kratom might have an addiction component to it, is it worse than the opiod? Some individuals who are unable to take opiates are able to tolerate kratom, so it shouldn't be discounted as a treatment option. People need to be able to make informed choices when considering what to do for pain management. Often it is a combination of drugs or herbs along with other holistic treatments and/or exercise programs that bring about the most benefit. You just have to work with your practitioner to figure out the best options for you as an individual.