My favorite sprout salad combo

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,455 admin
edited October 2020 in General Recipes

I found my favorite sprout salad combo - lentils and alfalfa seeds, with salt, pepper, parm cheese, dried parsley and a vinaigrette.  Honestly, it makes a salad that I would gladly pay $5-7 or so for in a restaurant.... but the crazy thing is, it maybe costs .10 - .20 cents to grow and put together!   I sprout the alfalfa and lentils together - 1 tablespoon alfalfa seeds an 1/4th cup dried lentils... they are sprouted and fill a quart jar in 3-4 days.... that is a week of salads for me for maybe .50 cents worth of seeds.  The parm is just cheap grated generic from the grocery store (but real cheese, not the green can), olive oil and vinegar, a few herbs... that is all.... sooooo good!  I will be trying some other grain seeds, but the lentils are a definite.  Great side dish for meat!

Comments

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds great.

When you are in the mood to try a new vinaigrette here is one I esp like:

vin and oil usual ratio, but try some fresh lemon juice to taste and some of the liquid off kalamata olives in the jar.

when I use this vinaigrette I use crumbled feta.

• judsoncarroll4

@silvertipgrizz I do use lemon sometimes, but I haven't tried the olive brine - sounds great, especially with some baked salmon! And, I certainly love feta!

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

My son in law makes the best salmon I have ever eaten. He smokes it on the grill, but puts it in a brine first, then some he applies a dry rub to and the rest of it he leaves as is. I like both but his rub recipe is awesome, for which left me when my old phone died. Been trying to get them to re send it but they both work.........never enough time in a day. Unless it's a bad day lol..🤣

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 I made a vinaigrette  this summer with Hickory syrup, various herbs, and Olive Oil. It was good. Your sprouts sound good. I have never had Lentil sprouts but that sounds good.

What variety of Lentils did you sprout?

• judsoncarroll4

Hickory syrup... awesome!!! Did you tap the trees and cook it down? I've been wanting to do that for a long time, but haven't gotten to it yet.

I just used grocery store green lentils. Most folks think that dry beans by the pound at the grocery store are just for eating, but most all sprout ad grow. I use them a lot for soil fertility, mulch and eating - $2 investment yields $50, minimum in fresh legumes.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 No I have read that you can tap Hickory trees like Maple, Birch, Black Walnut, etc. But in particular for the Shagbark Hickory (said to make the best Hickory Syrup) you use the bark. The Shagbark Hickory tree sheds its bark (typically in the Fall) and you can harvest it from the ground in the late Fall, Winter, or early Spring, then take a non-plastic brush and scrub off lichen (only because it will make the syrup bitter but most lichen is edible). Dry the bark in an oven.

Add water (I use a gallon of local Spring water) to a pot and bring to a boil. Add the bark and boil for 10 minutes. Remove the eye/burner and let steep for 20 minutes.

You can either make a simple syrup now or you can ferment the Hickory tea to make a more flavorful syrup. I store mine in a Mason jar. I read that for Maple Syrup if you take it and put into a Mason jar instead of those fancy jars they can last indefinitely.

I have grown green lentils (it's been some years though) and also heirloom beans, but have yet to sprout them for eating. I sometimes sprout my dried beans when soaking prior to cooking.