Old things...like, REALLY OLD
I love history. Not just dates, but REAL history...hands on, names, stories, not just school grade stuff...empty dates of wars & battles. I want connection; I want meat! 😉
I was privileged yesterday to view (and very accidentally barely touch) a 400 year old document that someone I know found. It was said that it was a lawyer written contract for servitude. It is said that is an agreement of someone coming from Scotland (or thereabouts) to the New World to work in exchange for transit (voyage) debt.
It is in old English (and so perfectly wtitten), on vellum (which is thin cow hide). This document had many wax seals. It was found in a special sealed box in an old shed that was quickly succumbing to the elements. The document was super musty. The box was crow-barred to open it. It could have just as easily gotten thrown away.
It was the COOLEST (oldest) old thing that I have ever seen in person. More specific research is about to start on it. I am excited to hear what comes of it. It might not be worth anything, and that isn't the point. It is its story that is sought.
Moral of the story...leave nothing unturned, unexplored, or unopened. This was in a junky old shed. You never know what could be hiding.
I also recently read about an old barn in Russia that held secrets of a sordid & violent past. Some of these people listed could easily be some of my ancestors as they came from this town & some if the last names are in my history. I know some of the stories, but am so fascinated with new information. I followed many of the links. It is a very interesting read. Oh, to go help in the puzzle work of discovery!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter