My favorite wheat-less pancakes

Mmm, banana oat pancakes. Whether or not these are gluten-free depends on the oat flour you use, but they are certainly dairy free and contain no added sugar. Also, they are delicious and have a dependably good texture. They are a somewhat thick pancake, but still tender and fluffy. This recipe is adapted from one in my King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking Book ( great book, but most recipes do contain wheat)

3 small (9 1/2 oz total) bananas, mashed

2 tbs melted coconut oil (or butter)

1 tbs. lemon juice ( I have used 2 tsp vinegar)

2 eggs

1 c. oat flour

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp. nutmeg

optional add ins- nuts, toasted coconut, berries, banana and other fruit slices. I have added chocolate chunks but they tend to melt all over the skillet. Sprinkle them on when done.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Beat the eggs. combine bananas, coconut oil, lemon juice, sugar and eggs in a medium bowl. Mix wet and dry ingredients just until moistened. Let sit ten minutes. Heat a heavy griddle or skillet, grease lightly. When hot enough the a drop of water sizzles, scoop 1/4 cupful of batter at a time. Sprinkle on add-inns if desired. Cook 3-4 minutes, until set, adjusting heat as needed. Flip pancakes and cook for 1 1/2 minutes more. Serve. Keeps well in the fridge for a few days, freezes well, even taste good cold. Makes a nice peanut butter sandwich. With walnuts, coconut, and chocolate chunks it makes an awesome, relatively low-sugar dessert.

Comments

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

Have you ever tried this with almond flour also?

I'm a big fan of almond flour and it is already gluten free. Yes, it is more expensive but I buy it in bulk and portion and then freeze the bags. I keep one in my refrigerator to use.

Also, almond flour is higher in quality fats and proteins and way less carbs (type 2 diabetics in this family and for myself I am trying to stay off all medications.) Plus the three bananas you mention I would reduce that to one or two and make up the difference in a tart applesauce which is sugarfree. Granny smith apples thrown into a crock-pot with a little lemon juice squirted on them makes wonderful applesauce in just 5-6 hours.

Then finally you can also just combine the two types of flours. Make one a predominant flour- 3/4 cup oat to 1/4 cup almond- or just make them half and half. Soon enough you'll figure out which flavor profile you prefer.

There is a bit of a learning curve when you try to start using almond flour to substitute in other recipes but it doesn't take long to figure it out. The most obvious one though with pancakes is don't expect those big dinner plate size pancakes because almond flour is difficult to turn over with a spatula and still get it to retain its shape. Just make a bunch of smaller 3-4" pancakes and you'll have no problems at all.

But all in all, yes your recipe is an great tasting meal any time of the day not only for breakfast but as a quick dinner some nights also.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Funny you should ask about almond flour- I was baking these when I read your post. https://beamingbaker.com/one-bowl-gluten-free-vegan-banana-nut-muffins-v-gf-dairy-free-refined-sugar-free-oat-flour/ Yes, I have cooked with almond flour. It's good stuff. I made almond/coconut flour english muffins many times when I was on keto.

Your changes sound good, but I am not trying to cut carbs- only sugar. I actually don't do well when I go too low carb. I tried Keto for about 9 weeks, and it definitely wasn't for me- I didn't feel good and I was usually hungry, despite eating massive amounts of fat. Also, I accidentally went very low carb when on the AIP, and again the affects weren't good. That being said, my diet is low-carb compared to the average American diet

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba even with the changes I mentioned this recipe could never be considered low carb. The bananas, applesauce and oat flour are all considered medium to high carbs so you actually have an awfully lot of sugars (glucose/fructose) in that recipe. The only thing the almond flour and applesauce did was reduce the actual sugars to a lower degree.

So as a diabetic trying to stay off meds I would never use that many bananas and that much oat flour all in the same recipe. For a diabetic or anyone trying to reduce their intake on sugars this would be a very rapid blood sugar rush.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba Thanks for the recipe, I love pancakes.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

My favorite non-wheat pancakes are made with buckwheat. I grew up eating them and still enjoy eating them today. I started purchasing Buckwheat groats a year or so ago and grind them in a blender. I sometimes add to it Cinnamon, Slippery Elm Bark powder, fruit (seasonal and foraged or grown by me), and the like. I sometimes too top off with some of my homemade jellies (Tall Goldenrod Jelly, Mixed Native Jelly, Apple Mint Jelly, etc.).

The recipe comes from Simply Recipes:

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

@Obiora E Thanks for the recipe, will be enjoying it.

• blevinandwomba

@Obiora E I love buckwheat too. I made some buckwheat crepes not long ago, but I haven't made pancakes in years. I'll have to put them on the list. I really enjoy savory pancakes, and to me, buckwheat lends itself well to that.

• csinclair461
    csinclair461 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

I don’t do well with most grains, so even gluten free recipes aren’t much good to me. I was very happy to come across this recipe, it will make bread, but also can be used for making pancakes (very buckwheaty ones). http://consciouscatering.ca/nama-bread/. Just buckwheat, water, and salt!

• Obiora E

@csinclair461 Probably the reason for you doing well with buckwheat is that it's not a grain but rather classified as a fruit. You can also use Buckwheat as a cover crop and it will attract various pollinators to your yard!

@merlin44 You are very welcome. I hope that you enjoy it.

@blevinandwomba Sounds righteous. How do you make crepes? I had them when I took French in elementary but have never made them.

• blevinandwomba

@Obiora E I unfortunately don't remember exactly how I made them, but basically it was pancake batter with more liquid. You cook them one at a time, spread the batter very thin by tilting the pan, and cook just until done. I think I made it with buckwheat flour, an egg, salt, baking soda, and kombucha for the liquid, but there may have been other ingredients. If I do it again successfully and actually remember to write down the proportions, I'll post it.

• Obiora E

@blevinandwomba No worries but thank you for sharing the "recipe." I will have to try it out.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

We make these too! My daughter just blends 1 cup of organic oats to make flour and then adds 3 bananas and some coconut milk to make the correct consistency. Sometimes we add vanilla. They're always good but the riper the bananas are the better. Kroger marks ripe bananas down to .39 a lbs. Those are the best for this recipe!

• maryannfricko
    maryannfricko Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Here is a grain free potato pancake.

For potato pancakes, I use potatoes, tapioca flour and salt.

The potatoes are grated and then the rest is added.

You can bake them if you do not want to use any oil.