Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Einkorn Sourdough Starter with video, plus free recipe for Einkorn Sourdough Bread — The Grow Network Community
WHAT'S CHANGING IN 2021 AND HOW TO NAVIGATE IT
a free community call lead by Marjory Wildcraft this Sunday, January 24 at 2pm CST

register here➥ howtopreparefor2021.com

Einkorn Sourdough Starter with video, plus free recipe for Einkorn Sourdough Bread

silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Baking

Comments

• kbmbillups1kbmbillups1 Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭

I've had my starter for about 2 years now. I make a loaf of Einkron bread for my husband every week. He's trying to lower his A1c by not eating flour, rice, pasta...The Eikron bread has very little affect on his blood sugar. It took a little getting used to but he loves it now.

I make pizza dough with this flour as well. We've gotten used to how thin and crispy it is and how little (if any) gluten is in it. I recently took my daughter and her friends to Mellow Mushroom and found my jaw getting tired trying to chew the regular dough! Plus, my stomach was not happy with me afterwards.

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kbmbillups1

I'm getting ready to post a new video by a Doctor about diabetes. Maybe something in it will help you.

The best to you.

• lmrebertlmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

Would this work in a bread machine?

• dimck421dimck421 Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@kbmbillups1 I noticed you said that your husband likes the bread now. Would you say Einkorn is an acquired taste? I, too, am giving up flour. I researched Einkorn. It seems like a wonderful food! I just could not find anyone with first hand knowledge.

@dimck421 No it tastes like bread - no acquired taste. The texture is different b/c of the lack of gluten. It's a little more dense not fluffy like regular bread. That's what he had to get used to. This flour is really good just not like the flour everyone is used to. That's why when I had pizza at Mellow Mushroom it made my jaw tired having to chew and chew and chew. I'm not used to the gluten anymore.

@lmrebert I don't think it would work in a bread machine b/c the process is a little different than regular flour. I think you'd have to use regular yeast and not the sourdough starter to use a bread machine with it.

• I really like the Traditional Cooking School. She has some good info there, too.

@dimck421

Have a look at the traditional cooking school site and ask her. Also, she recommends a certain company that sells it. You could call them. I can't remember who the company is, has been a while since I looked at it. Also, King Arthur Flour might have that info on their website, or in the comment section...but the best might be to call them and ask for one of the bakers. They answer questions all the time.

edited November 2019

@dimck421 @silvertipgrizz Jovial Foods is the company she recommends. I order from them every month.

• dimck421dimck421 Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz Thank you tons!!

@kbmbillups1

Oh, that's right lol. Thank you for posting that!!!🙃

@dimck421

You're certainly welcome.

On the subj of King Arthur Flour, they have a monthly magazine, with 2 or 3 recipes printed in the catalogue every month. This months always comes out as the holiday catalogue. All you have to do is go to their site and sign up for it...it is free.

While you are on the site, check out their recipe 'lemon glazed pound cake' is so awesome and if you put the dry ingredients together ahead of time it goes together very fast. And like Amazon, they have a comment section I love to read...lots to learn from many of the comments just like on Amz.

Note, the ingredient that makes a distinct difference 'fiori de sicilia' was the secret ingredient in a store bought cookie. It is a combo of orange juice and vanilla and really makes this cake unique, with or without it is sooo good.

The best to you all.

@silvertipgrizz @dimck421 @lmrebert

I made Einkron bread today so I figured why not attach pictures for everyone to see. I only make 1/2 the recipe each time b/c that's just the right amount for my husband. The rest of us enjoy the pizza dough & cookies that I make from it. This loaf is much darker (whole wheat color) than the normal loaf I make b/c I bought a box of Einkron berries and ground them myself. I buy a 10 pound bag of the all purpose flour every month. Originally I had an Romertopf clay bread baker dish but I dropped the top and it broke in many pieces! It really upset me b/c it was not cheap. I found this one at Goodwill and it works just as good. My dough sours for at least 5 hours in the oven with the light on so the starter spreads throughout the bread and leaves it with very little if any gluten at all. While the clay baker is warming up in the very hot oven my bread spends 30 minutes hanging out in the couche. I cut this loaf too soon b/c my husband couldn't wait any longer for a taste. I like to let it cool completely so it doesn't crumble when I slice it. I hope this helps you guys and you all decide to give Einkron bread a try!

Below are pictures of my starter, the 10 pound bag of Einkron flour I just got in the mail, my clay baker, my dough hanging out in the couche, the small loaf I just baked, and after cutting a few pieces.

@kbmbillups1

Is that a floured muslin cloth the dough is resting on? Any dough I rest always sticks to what it is resting on, no matter what and even with flour. What am I doing wrong? (except when I rest dough in a glass and slightly oiled bowl).

I love your couche. Could I use a dutch oven, or 2 iron skillets, one for the base and one for the lid?

Thank you for the pictures and your process..helps a lot. Much appreciated.

@silvertipgrizz Yes it's a floured muslin cloth but it's the one that was recommended. I've never had any problems withthe dough sticking to it. Flour is left on it as well as moisture from the dough but once it dries I just take it outside and knock it off.

Yes you can use a Dutch oven. I tried using two glass bread dishes but once I got the clay Baker I noticed a huge difference.

@kbmbillups1

How is the recommended cloth different than the ones in the fabric stores? Is it the flour company that recommended it?

And what do you think the difference might be if I used an iron dutch oven, the old fashioned kind with no paint coating...like lodge brand.

Thank you for the time you took posting pictures and answering questions.

edited November 2019

@silvertipgrizz The one she recommends is made from natural flax linen from France and it's just for proofing bread. Yes, they sell them on Jovialfood website but I think I bought mine from Amazon. I've never used a dutch oven to make my bread. I'm sure it would work as long as it's well seasoned so the bread doesn't stick. I haven't watched those videos in a while so I'm not sure but I think she used to use a dutch oven for a while to make her bread.

@kbmbillups1

Thanks for the info. I wonder how a dress out of flax linen would wear lol? the fabric sure is pretty and linen is one of my fav's.

Every time I come back to this discussion I get hungry for home backed bread.