Gratitude and Thankfulness
I've made a daily practice of keeping a gratitude journal for over 12 years now. It started out in a notebook, and was something I learned while a student at Wilderness Awareness School. Some years ago, I started listing 3 things I'm grateful for each evening on my Facebook page. I've been surprised at how many people tell me that they look forward to it each evening. I don't even know many of them!
Even on the most challenging day, I can come up with 3 things...sometimes it's only that I woke up breathing that morning, no new bills came in the mail, and my car started when I needed it to.
Most days, it's much easier. I try to think of someone I'm thankful for, some nature thing that I saw or heard that made me happy, and some personal little bit from my day to share.
Today, it will be for my good landlords, who replaced a broken down pellet stove with a propane heater. It's such a blessing to not have to order a pallet of pellets this week, then move the fifty - 40 pound bags to the shed so that I can drag them in as I need them. At almost 61, that was becoming too difficult for me to safely do.
I heard the chickadees in the treetops when I walked my little dog this morning. They are such cheerful birds that I always smile when I see or hear them.
And, I'm thankful to have moved a bunch more of the wood chip mulch to the path between my fruit trees. I'm almost done with that chore!
As Thanksgiving approaches, are you more aware of things to be thankful for? Or do you notice them every day?
What is one thing you are thankful for right this minute?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter