Australian east coast bushfires

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin
edited October 2020 in Other News

A little while back, I posted re having a fire plan for your property, you know, what you'd do and how you'd implement your plan for your place. Well over the last couple of days, I threw mine into action. I live just north west of Coffs Harbour and our general area is at the moment confronted with a bushfire 150,000 ha in size with many fronts. In mostly inhospitable country, it is now poking its ugly head out in the eastern hinterland near civilization. So on Monday the RFS (rural fire service) suggested evacuation for the area, schools were closed etc. We decided to stay, prepare and protect our property. If things got hectic, we would leave pronto! At this stage we have erected sprinklers on the roof of the house and shed, plugged downpipes with old tshirts. Removed anything combustible from around those structures, wet everything down. Packed up the cars with anything of value/importance. Kept in contact with family and friends with regular updates. The RFS suggested that residents staying on their properties put a yellow lidded garbage bin at the entrance so they would know who's about. So far we have dodged a bullet, with a favourable wind change and cooler temperatures. Let's wait, see and act.

This certainly has taught me to live in the moment, don't think about maybe, what if, could have. This is happening now, react now, make a decision. Acting this way has given me clarity and no 2nd guessing, of which I am greatful. Please everybody stay safe and act within your comfort zone.

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

May you stay safe.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

I have been following this on the news. I like that you are able to think rationally & make firm decisions. I think to veer away from that puts people in harm's way.

I echo the above...stay safe.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Update, as of 14th Nov, pressure is off. The fire is 5kms to our north and due to a southerly wind change, has given us some respite. Authorities have spent much time and resources to try to control while the weather is kind. Things can change in an instant if the wind direction changes. We will stay prepared and vigilant.

• wbt.affiliates
    wbt.affiliates Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

A couple of summers ago a forest fire raged not far from our house. We became a part of the pre-evacuation zone. We could see the fire from our porch. Fire crews tried to keep it out of residential areas.

But it burned up the vegetation on our creek, where we get our irrigation water. In these mountains, there isn't enough rain to support gardening, so we rely on irrigation water. We dare not use our well water, because if we do, there isn't enough water to go around in our community.

Just as I feared, the sludge that came down from the creek clogged the filters in the irrigation pumps, and we couldn't water our garden that spring and summer. I cried as I watched my garden die.

This past summer, flooding from another creek - also a result of the fire - prevented the park owners (we live in a trailer park) from turning on the pumps, even though there was usable irrigation water. So for the second year I couldn't water. There was too little rain to even allow the elderberries to become plump and edible. The raspberries became hard nubbins. I ignored the gooseberries, I was so heartsick.

The park owners have fixed the runoff problem from the flooding part of this park. I think next spring I can do my garden again. I hope so.

A fire takes more than the brush it devours. It takes toll of the following years as well. My heart goes out to you.