What To Do With Damaged Trees?
As I've been working around the back lot where my fruit trees are planted, I've found a couple of maple trees that have old chains wrapped around and grown into the trunks. We're talking trees that have grown completely around the chain. One is near the base of the tree, and the other is around a smaller limb that is about 2/3 of the height of the tree. Another maple has grown into and around a chain link fence.
They mostly seem to be still healthy, put on a lot of leaves in the spring, which have now mostly fallen.
Should I try to cut the chain to allow the trees to expand? Should I try to remove the chain from the tree? Or is it best to just leave them alone?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter