Hard Lotion

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

That really sounds like someone left the lid of the lotion bottle and it got dried out. However, I mean solid lotion, hand balm, whatever-you-want-to-call-it. I've been making it for several years now, because its easy to make and very effective. Also, commercial lotions, even very natural ones, give me a strange reaction- I break out into a sweat wherever I apply them. So, homemade lotion for me.

I follow the basic formula, found all over the internet: One part beeswax, one part cocoa butter, one part coconut oil. Melt together, stir, remove from heat, add any essential oils you may want, and pour into a mold. I usually use a large paper muffin cup. I used to pour it into jars, but because it is so hard, I found it difficult to apply that way. When it solidifies it looks like a bar of soap. After I wash my hands or take a shower I rub a thin layer on and rub it in. It will not "soak in" like a water based lotion; you need to rub it in. My favorite part about it as a hand lotion is that it won't wash off the next time you wash your hands. I have to frequently wash my hands at my job, so commercial lotions are almost useless. Not having sweaty hands is nice too.

So who else makes solid/hard lotion?

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't made any but I do like those that I've purchased.

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Made it for the first time about a month ago and love it :) I used the same basic recipe that you did it sounds like, but added a bit of lavender oil as well. My husband has exceptionally dry skin and we have used so many different products that really have not had any noticeable effect. These seem to work pretty well for him - we will see with continued use... I plan on making more to give as Christmas gifts this year as well :)

• alindsay22
    alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

A nice add for salve is to infuse herbs to the coconut oil first. Crockpot oil on low with herbs. Calendula, comfrey, plantain are just some examples. You can also slowly cold infuse a liquid oil. The liquid oil will make it less hard as well - if you like or just add more beeswax to get it harder. I love making salves.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

This sounds great! climbOn (by Skin Nourishment -- my whole family uses their lip balm and it's amazingly good, even in harsh climates) has a product like this called "All Purpose Lotion Bar," but it's a bit pricey. I love the idea of making your own! Another product I swear by is Aveeno's Eczema Therapy lotion. It's a really good lotion when you're dealing with cold, dry climates. I buy it on Subscribe and Save through Amazon, which makes it a bit more affordable....

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

We make our lotions and salves seasonally. We soak herbs in olive oil or sunflower for at least one lunar cycle. Then strain the herbs, warm oil to melt beeswax, pour slowly in a blender to emulsify the oil. Guess this is a water based lotion. I like how it soaks into the skin. Calendula, creosote, plantain, and other herbs are soaked in oil throughout the year.

I also make blends with mints for massage oils.

It's great to make your own. So much more affordable and you know exactly what goes in! :) Another bonus.

I just found this website the other day...hoping to place an order with them soon.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba a friend just gifted me with a hard lotion/lip balm set; lavender and lemon. It’s the first time I’ve used hard lotion but really like it!

@chimboodle04 re your husband’s dry skin...I’m learning that calendula is fantastic for dry skin also as @alindsay22 mentions the plain rain and comfrey as well. I recently purchased herbal remedies from learning herbs. Included was calendula, plantain, and comfrey with olive oil, beeswax, and lavender essential oil; fabulous healing salve! I actually gave one of the tins to a good friend who texted me yesterday with a pic of the tin and the text that says, “I really really love this!” 😊

• chimboodle04

@maimover Glad to have some first hand advice - thank you! I have some plantain oil and chamomile oil that I made earlier in the summer, and some calendula that I have yet to steep - I will definitely get on board with that and get them into a salve - I heard chamomile is also good for the skin :)

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I just made my fist small batch of Calendula salve over the Thanksgiving weekend. I sent it home with my daughter to help with a skin rash. I also tossed more seeds out into the pot so hopefully I can replenish what I used for her salve. I have some store bought calendula from a tea/herb store. I will be using that for another batch for myself.

what is the main difference between a slave and a hard location bar other than more bees wax?

• blevinandwomba

@gardneto76 As far as I can tell it's just a textural difference.

• chimboodle04

@gardneto76 The salves I have made are definitely spreadable and need to be kept in jars - the lotion bar is like a bar of soap: hard - but it melts easily with the warmth of your hand.

• alindsay22
    alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba Just read up on lotion bars - I will have to try it next time I have my supplies out. I have made small bars (little silicone candy molds) for insect repellant which I could then easily carry with me. I like the idea of hard lotion because it will free up my mason jars (and space). Thanks for sharing!

• maimover

@chimboodle04 i made a big MRH order that had chamomile included. Looking forward to getting some on line Christmas shopping done and making something for my skin; and will definitely check out chamomile’s healing powers.

• maimover

@gardneto76 I love love love the calendula salve...

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I used EV Olive oil when I made my salve. I didn’t want to her to smell like a coconut but I am thinking for the hard lotion the coconut might be a better idea.

What oil does everyone use when making their salves or hard lotions and why?

• blevinandwomba

For hard lotion, I usually use coconut oil, but I have used a mix. Oils other than coconut will make it somewhat softer, but they can be used. I like the texture of coconut oil and don't mind the smell, and it fits my price range.

I haven't tried it, but here's a recipe that uses tallow instead of coconut oil

https://wellnessmama.com/8555/hypoallergenic-lotion-bar-recipe/

• Heidi
    Heidi Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

I make them too, using the same recipe. I also add a few drops of essential oil to the coconut oil first for the smell. Did some with citronella for our camping supplies. Hope it will help with the bug bites.

• tla.cls.mt
    tla.cls.mt Posts: 19 ✭✭✭

I’m a huge fan of hard lotion. I make mine with beeswax, coconut oil, and either shea butter or cocoa butter. At times I add a little essential oil (or a combination of EOs) for different purposes.

In warmer months I use a little more wax to keep the bars from melting so easily.

I add different essential oils to make: foot hard lotion, muscle ache relieving hard lotion, bug repelling hard lotion, or even a little mica for a soft shimmer.

• OhiohillsLouise
    OhiohillsLouise Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

I’ve Been making these lotions for years, you can add almond oil and Shea butter to the mix to soften the bar up a bit. Ice cube trays make a good mold and a perfect size for handling.