Vast ID site

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

His site offers multiple pictures of the plants at different life stages. That will help me a lot as I try to ID my weeds. Thanks for finding it.

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing your find. I really like the pictures on this site - very clear and helpful for identification of plants.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shllnzl

@gennywu

I could not believe the amount of helpful pictures and info. Made me think of someone here that was trying to figure out what a plant was. And all the sites I have visited, including youtube with poor images necessary esp for someone like me that has never seen many of these plants up close and life like, considering how important it is to make sure the plant is the plant you think it is...

If you get a chance, the video of Steve Brill is short, but very funny about the cops in NY I think if was central park...

• gennywu
    gennywu Posts: 96 ✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz What video are you referring to? I can't seem to find it.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • silvertipgrizz

@gennywu

@Mary Linda Bittle

yes, thats the one with wildman doing a u tube about dandelion, with intermittent info on his sorta harrasment and arrest over foraging in ny, i think central park.. and then the judge....is funny. I hope his humor lightened some hearts...it did mine laughing at his story.

• silvertipgrizz

@rainbow

you are very welcome.

• merlin44
    merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭

A great source, Wildman Steve Brill's book "Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants" has been a reliable friend for years.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
  • Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭

Just watched the video. This guy Steve Brill is great! I haven't come across him before. Thanks for posting this! Love his sense of humor! Great info on the website too!

Speaking of dandelions... that brings back a memory from high school. My sophomore year I had a good friend named David. He and I had a lot of deep, intellectual type of conversations. We were walking in a park one day and there were some dandelions growing. I reached down and picked a flower from one and said to David, "Did you know that dandelions can kill cancer cells?". I hadn't shared that information with anyone before because I figured they would make fun of me. But since David and I had gotten into some pretty far out conversations before, I figured it would be safe to bring it up with him.

Well, I was wrong. At first he started laughing and didn't think I was serious. When I told him I was, he laughed really hard and told me I was crazy to think that a dandelion could cure cancer and if it was that simple, they would have already discovered it! He teased me all the rest of that year about it.

I have often wondered if he had ever come across any of the research you can now find on the internet that says there is a chemical in the dandelion root that kills cancer cells and if he remembers that day in the park, and the hard time he gave me over the information I tried to share with him. Funny how we can become ingrained in a certain way of thinking and dismiss things that could actually be helpful.

I love the part that herbs play in keeping us healthy!

• silvertipgrizz

I was like so many others for most of my life thinking that most or all weeds were weeds.

we just simply have not had enough men and women 'elders' to teach us as we grew up so it would all be second nature to us, much more capable to cure each other and make sure all this herbal information got passed on to every generation moving forward.

We should have all stayed on the farm... can't blame people for wanting to get off the farm...work very hard esp then...but what a treat having and eating clean healthy food from clean and healthy soil, being assets to our families and our neighbors.....

I'm very pleased you all are finding it helpful, as I did.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz - The 1st. thing I did on his site was read his Resume. Steve Brill is quite the well-rounded 🙂 individual. -

He reads Alot like a guy I dated right after nursing school, & Dean tried his level-best to get me to marry him. We played chess together, & he was just as ready & willing to help anyone, as was I. And he too self-published a first book on Foraging...wild plants. - I would have married him, were it not for the fact that he was not in the least concerned... about paying rent, or anything else. So basically he thought "the wife can work to pay the bills, while I have fun...". - Somehow that didn't seem right.

okay back on Topic. 🙂

• silvertipgrizz

Information to me usually seems more pertinent when we have a life experience to connect to it.

Did you get a chance to read his book?

You didn't let him beat you at chess did you?

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

Great site. Thank you!

• silvertipgrizz

@figsagee

You are very welcome!!!