Burglars in my town!
I've always felt pretty safe here in Council, Idaho. But today, just a few blocks from where I live, someone broke the door in a house and stole Christmas presents! The police told them that there's been several recent break-ins. Stealing things to trade for drugs, they say. They only hit the front room, taking small items and leaving larger ones.
I know this stuff happens everywhere, and coming from the Seattle area in 2016, it was a daily thing. The office where I worked was broken in to over New Years evening. I found it when I went in to do inventory on January 1st. It shook me up pretty good.
I feel like we (the landlords and I) have done what we can to make it hard to break in here. But it's not impossible. If I'm home, I feel pretty comfortable that they won't catch me by surprise. The little dog is a very alert and noisy watch dog, and I have a shotgun, which I am willing to use if someone comes in my house while I'm there.
I do worry about what happens when I'm at work. I don't have a lot worth stealing. But that doesn't stop criminals from taking what they want. I plan to leave the TV and a light on when I go to work in the morning, and change the light I leave on when I come home for lunch, just to look like the house is not empty.
Mostly, I want to remind everyone that our things are of interest to bad people. Take a minute to evaluate your locks, and your safety plan. Think about what your Christmas decorating that's visible from the street says about what might be of interest to criminals. Let's not make it easy for them!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter