Chicken manure & what the chickens eat
I'm pretty new here - and glad to be here. We are new to composting and are considering adding some chicken manure to heat things up. The source of the manure feeds his chickens some scratch made by Purina. I contacted Purina directly and there are GMO grains (no surprising) in the scratch.
So my question is, if the chicken eats the GMO grain, of course it's going to be in the poop.....once the poop is composted are there likely to be remnants of GMO in the compost.....that will then go into the garden....and then into our food....and then into us?
The whole point of organic gardening, other than the pleasure of doing it, is to have a source of clean food. Will using this chicken poop in the compost defeat that? We want to stay as far away from GMO as possible.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter