Homemade Cracker Candy
Christmas is rapidly approaching and many of us either will attend or host a holiday party or prepare the family meal.
Since I was a former confectioner I prepared many different types of homemade candies or snacks for my store. As holiday times rolled around the homemade treats just flew out the door even faster. So I decided to treat you and your guests to some of my most popular recipes.
Some are easy with very little knowledge needed to get good results. Some are a little more difficult but if you follow the directions given you will end up with success.
So here's one that is pretty easy...
Homemade Cracker Candy
1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons REAL butter (the better the quality the better your candy will be)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp real vanilla
large chopped pecan pieces (approx 1/2 cup or more if desired)
one bag of mini chocolate chips (approx 12 oz bag or more if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine both sticks of butter, the brown sugar and the vanilla in a 2 quart saucepan (it will foam up so be careful and use a deep pan) over low heat until it starts to get hot. Stir occasionally to keep from sticking. This will become your candy coating layer.
- Using the 2 tablespoons of butter, grease the bottom and corners only of a large cookie sheet
- Now fill the large cookie sheet with saltine crackers in a single layer. Break apart crackers and fill in any empty spaces.
- As the candy coating in the pan heats up start stirring this continuously with very slow smooth strokes. Keep stirring until everything is dissolved and the mixture is getting bubbly.
- When bubbly remove from the heat and pour this mixture over the top of the saltine crackers, covering all and be sure the crackers stay in a single layer. Push them back down with a fork if the edges float and are overlapping. Work quickly as your coating is going to harden.
- Place the cookie sheet into the preheated oven and let it bake for ten minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven. Re-arrange any floating/overlapping crackers back to a single layer.
- Now dribble your chopped pecans all over the hot syrup so there is a little on top of each cracker.
- Dribble the mini chocolate pieces evenly over all of the crackers so there is some on every cracker. Wait approximately 1-2 minutes until chocolate softens then spread it gently with a knife to coat each cracker with melted chocolate.
- Cool completely and then break apart into pieces (about the size of each cracker).
- Store in an airtight container.
Don't let the idea that this is just saltine crackers fool you. When prepared, this is a chocoholics delight!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 36 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 29 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 367 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 467 Current Events & Breaking News
- 53 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 540 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 401 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 110 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter