Another Use For A Boot Tray

merlin44
merlin44 Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in DIY Tutorials

I'm building a bookcase with a couple of shelves set with grow lights for starting seeds and wanted a sturdy tray to protect the wood from water damage. Realized a rubber boot tray, about 12 x 28 inches-1 inch deep with ridges, would be perfect. Picked up a couple more for $4.00 at Dollar General.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

Yes, doesn't this work well? I have some saucerless plants on my floor, and I found that this works perfectly.

• Great idea! Thanks—it’s been a while since I went to the Dollar Store:.....

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

We use boot trays to carry our seedlings in and out to harden them off.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found that the plastic muffin containers from Costco work great as plant drip trays. I separated the lid from the bottom of the plastic tray and found that both of them provided an invisible water shield for one of my plant stands, eliminating the need for individual drip trays.

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I have just started to use the boot tray, for boots, am happy w it, but place many more items abt...now, plants, eh? Or lights?

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I use one under my pet dishes. You know how cats and dogs like to pull food out of the dish, this usually keeps it confined.

• Heidi
    Heidi Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

I do this as well, and in the spring it is so handy to be able to move them out to direct sun for a bit daily. And price is right at DG.