Garden Activities In The Rain
Normally, in my climate zone I don't have to worry about this but earlier this past Spring and now in the last two weeks all it has done is rain...rain and then more RAIN.
It just can't seem to stop!
So when it finally stopped in the Spring, myself along with other members in a garden group I belong to, we tried to put together a list of gardening chores we could do when we do get hit with unfortunate climatic conditions.
Many gardeners we found out don't realize there is some things that absolutely should never be done in your garden during wet soggy weather.
Here's what we came up with...
- Scuffling (top of soil for pest resistance/prevention)
- Pruning any plant
- Trellising any plant
- Spraying anything on a plant
Use CAUTION with these Chores:
- Pulling Weeds
- Turning compost pile
Jobs OK to do During Inclement Weather:
- Direct seeding as long as you do not move the soil
- Organize or clean garden tools and supplies
- Sort your seeds - familiarize yourself with what you have left
- Crop planning on paper/internet planner program
- Build a wished-for garden project (as long as you do not come into contact with any plant's leaves or stems)
Now considering how many jobs there is to do in any garden does anybody else have any suggestions what are good ideas to do during these three types of weather conditions?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 36 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 29 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 367 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 467 Current Events & Breaking News
- 53 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 539 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 400 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 109 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter