Has anyone tried Juicy Fruit to get rid of gophers?

Megan Venturella
Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

The gophers invaded my raised beds this year and they've eaten nearly everything. I keep hearing about putting Juicy Fruit gum in their holes, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried this?

I may need to dig everything out and put down hardware cloth, but that's going to be a ton of work at this point. I tried castor oil pellets, and they were effective for a while, but not anymore! Another suggestion someone gave me was to stop planting for a year, but I'm flipping through seed catalogs and feeling a little heartbroken. Anyway, I'd love any advice you can give! Thanks!

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

I, too, would love to hear results of this. We are plagued with the little beasties; they get more of our produce than we do.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

I have never heard of this. I will be watching if anyone has an answer.

I can't help but picture gophers sitting up by their holes, relaxing in the sun while chewing away. 😂

• Riesah
    Riesah Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

I've used a black box trap with slice of potato to draw these critters, with very good results. Especially good to do in the spring when you

might get females still carrying as yet unborn young.

I've currently got voles and haven't needed to deal with these before...also, squirrels!

• Megan Venturella

Thanks for the reply! Did you have to bury the traps in their tunnels?

• An
    An Posts: 42 ✭✭

I too have some type of burrowing animal in my garden. I think it is a field mouse. Anyway they moved in when I planted Sunchokes and chicory.....now they eat my potatos, garlic, and make burrows all over the place.

What is the black box trap mentioned above and where is it put? In my garden there are no open runs. I only see little hills here and there and accidentally find one of the runs.

• dianne.misspooz
    dianne.misspooz Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

I haven't heard of Juicy Fruit being effective but I have to tell you, I'd never use it because I'm addicted to Juicy Fruit! No way will I share it with gophers! What I heard that works fabulously is to adopt a neighborhood cat or 2. How? By simply putting out cat food. Cats will come and eat the food but will also kill your gophers. The great thing is, you don't have to care for the cats at all. They belong to someone else but the cat works for you. My coworker said she got the tip from a neighbor when she was overrun with gophers so she started putting out a bowl of cat food... sure enough, neighborhood cats arrived and killed all her gophers. I'm going to give it a try if I ever get gophers.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

@An It sounds as though you might have moles? I know that you can get black plastic box traps that are placed at/in the run. Moles don't like light, and these work with that concept.

If this is what you are dealing with, search for "mole trap."

• Torey

@dianne.misspooz I'm impressed that a cat would get rid of all the gophers like that. I have had cats for many years and even though I find evidence that they are hunting and catching gophers, they haven't taken care of the problem. I live in an area with extensive hay fields so gopher heaven, but even with all the coyotes in the area, the population of gophers is still holding. And of course, my garden has plants that are so much more succulent than hay fields so they are lured in.

I agree with @LaurieLovesLearning thoughts that it is moles that @An has. They tend to leave the hills as evidence of their presence.

• Megan Venturella

@dianne.misspooz What a great idea! I did end up getting a cat, but your idea would have been smarter!!

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

We had voles several years ago and put gum into the dirt. Worked.

• Torey

I put out several packages of juicy fruit bubble gum on more than one occasion but saw no sign of any decline in the population.

• Donna
    Donna Posts: 21 ✭✭✭

My neighbors have cats and our lots are separated by a cement block wall that I'm sure must go deeper than the gophers (they only dig down about 12-18" from what I have read. They plant veggies, and whatever they want right into the ground, no problem with the gophers, yet I have signs of pocket gophers all over the yard, they have destroyed many plants I put into the ground, including a young fig tree. So I have to go through the extra time and expense of building raised beds or buying/building containers. I asked my neighbor why he didn't have gophers eating all his plants and he said, "the cats".

His cats do come over into my yard at night after my dogs are in, and they definitely hunt. I see signs sometimes that they have killed a bird, and I feel bad about that. But I do think they are hunting the gophers too. At this point there are so many holes in the yard I'm not sure which are new gopher holes, I'm not sure if I still have gophers, but I do notice that my dogs are no longer digging up the yard going after gophers like they used to. One cat was always an excellent hunter, but now there is another who was born earlier in the year, who is a great hunter too. A beautiful Siamese cross with stunning blue eyes. Interesting fact, at night when I'm out finishing my watering and other garden chores I wear a headlamp and I spot the cats in the yard because their eyes reflect the light. Once cat reflects red, the other blue because of the different eye color I think. I think it's the blue eyed Siamese that reflects blue. It's very curious about me and will just sit at a distance and watch what I am doing.

• Donna
    Donna Posts: 21 ✭✭✭

I think leaving gum anywhere in nature is a bad idea. Gum can and does kill birds that eat it. In my experience anything buried in the ground eventually makes it way out to the surface at some point through wind and water erosion.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

My gophers with attitudes would probably blow bubbles with it

I have to trap my gophers. When I had an active dog he scared them enough they all went to the neighbors.