Mullein

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Growing Medicinals

Note that mullein can make for very itchy sensitive parts. There are better uses for it.

Tagged:

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Mullein...the toilet paper plant! I had one and it grew little florets. I was told that it could be invasive, but mine didn't last through the winter. I was very disappointed.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021

@LaurieLovesLearning

Check out 'the herbal jedi' he does lots of vids on many herbs but also on mullein...lots to learn about that beautiful plant. I came back from a month hiatus from home to find a mullein huge in my back yard, that was year one. the next year i had 2 plants and knew a little more about them, and this last summer i was so busy with my garden and the drenching rains that the multiple mullein plants I had, about 5..I lost them all. The herbal jedi teaches how to deal with the blooms, and I think you might enjoy watching his vid on this. It really is a plant we should all have.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin
    edited September 2021

Hi @LaurieLovesLearning

If you had florets on your mullein then it was in its second year. Mullein is generally a biennial. So you will get the rosette of leaves in the first year and then the flower spike in the second year. It will go to seed and you should have babies coming up. It is classified as an invasive weed here giving an indication of how easily it should grow from seed and reseed itself. I have seen it growing at the side of the road as far north as 56°N. Keep trying to establish some in your yard. Its a plant well worth having.

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can leaves be dried and stored for later use? @torey

• Torey

@monica197 Absolutely. If you sign up for the free Susun Weed Immune System course that was recently posted, she does a section on mullein and says how important it is to have on hand for respiratory illnesses.

• monica197
    monica197 Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @torey

I am actually watching that right now.

I haven't gotten to mullein yet

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Mullein is not my go to for toilet paper. I much prefer thimble berry leaves, and soft ferns like bracken and also maple leaves or alder leaves. Mullein has other better uses.

• Torey

I like thimble berries for TP as well. In my area maple and alder leaves are pretty small.

I think it is mostly a case of using what is at hand. Or foot. :)

• Torey

More information on Mullein from jim mcdonald via a podcast with Rosalee de la Foret.

There is an excellent downloadable handout. Some uses I didn't know about.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is all wonderful information. Thank you @silvertipgrizz for sharing. Not sure yet which will grow in my area, but will find out. I will also be looking up the "herbal Jedi" he sounds very interesting.

And @Torey thank you for sharing Jim McDonald's site. That was very informative, especially the part about lymph use. Had never come across that use before.