safe herbal remedy for bronchitis (pregnant person)

nksunshine27
nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Health

Hi Ya'll i have a delema my daughter who is pregnant thinks she caught bronchitis from her sister is there any herbal remedy safe for her to take i told her to drink some pineapple juice and take some echinacia but i think its too slow acting for her cough.she doesn't want to take the pharma meds and want to go natural. please if you have any advice it would be greatful i'm currently going through stuff to see what will help with her cough and such

Tagged:

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Zinc lozenges can help with a sore throat and cough. Zinc has been shown to help reduce the duration of a cold. It is safe during pregnancy and might actually help reduce the risk of preterm birth.

Hot lemon and honey.

Onion honey; slices of onion in a jar covered with honey for 24 hours before starting to use. Add in garlic, ginger, etc. if desired. Take in tablespoon doses for coughs and sore throats.

Marshmallow root is very soothing for sore throats and is considered safe during pregnancy.

• nksunshine27

Thank you I've read that she can't take elderberry gummies but can take echinacia. I'm attempting to figure out how to give her the marshmallow, tea how?

• nksunshine27
  • shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nksunshine27 To maximize the stomach or throat coating (slimy) elements of marshmallow, you should do a cold infusion. Be sure to add it to something with flavor.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Sorry @nksunshine27, I should have given instructions for the tea. @shllnzl is right about the cold infusion and adding something to flavour it. Following is a recipe from Pathways to Healing that could include peppermint: Fill a jar 1/4 full of sifted cut root (not powder) and fill the remaining space with cool, clean water. Allow your herb to infuse for 4 -12 hours. 

You could also try a marshmallow honey. Use 1 part of the above infusion with 1 part honey. Heat gently, just to get the infusion to blend with the honey.

• nksunshine27

Thankyou both very much have merry Christmas

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nksunshine27

I always put a little honey on a spoon and take just enough to sooth my throat. it works very well for me. I never use lemon for a sore throat as it hurts my throat.

For nausea, if she has any, I simply sniff my peppermint eo, 3 whiffs each time I fell the need for relief and it always works for me, so far.

I hope she gets to feeling better soon.