Don't Eat The Yellow Snow... it's a myth!

2»

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,517 admin
    edited January 2020

Haha @shllnzl Yes, we are. But, we do love the warmer days. It makes one appreciate those that much more.

@torey We are going to warm up quite a bit too. I am looking forward to it, although if the temp plummets suddenly, it will be hard on the animals. I have not lost any birds due to this cold (whew!) but expect some to die if we get an extreme cold snap after the warm up.

Can you believe the weather out in Newfoundland? I am do very glad that we only had cold & lower speed high wind, not their experience. @Marjory Wildcraft Read this...

We have had drifts like that...but only once was it that bad, that I remember.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,635 admin

@Laurie Very glad I am not in Newfoundland! It has been bad enough in parts of BC. 150 kph winds between the Mainland and Vancouver Island. The Trans Canada Hwy has been closed several times just east of Vancouver for whiteouts due to high winds and drifting snow. And they are sooo not used to it. Here we just have the cold and a couple of minorly windy days. Can't imagine what the wind chill would have been if we had that kind of wind when it was -40! There was an article in our local paper yesterday about the cold snap in some of our micro climates. One couple said their thermometer bottomed out and was below the -50C (-58F) mark. The remarkable thing was their chickens survived the night in an unheated coop.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,517 admin
    edited January 2020

@torey Chickens are tough. You know that you have good ones if they can survive that. 😀 Our bird housing has no insulation either. It helps cut down on external parasites.

Our temps have not gotten that low. It is good because we have no insulation in the walls of our house. We will be doing that this spring, though. It will be good to have much lower hydro bills.