Garlic for far North

Johanna
Johanna Posts: 8 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Vegetables

I want to grow garlic. I have 50 to 60 snow free days. I was able to grow some small bulbs in that time but I haven't been able to over winter to get larger bulbs. It is about -20 to -40 in the winter. When I tried to over winter, all I got were some slimy bits where the garlic was planted. Is there a trick to growing it or is it too cold to grow garlic here?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

How far north are you?

Anytime I have been in the Yukon, I have always been so impressed with the produce in the grocery stores. A lot comes from the Pelly River Ranch at Pelly Crossing and they are north of 62°.

I am north of 52° but I don't grow garlic myself as there are several local growers that I like to support (can't manage to grow everything ourselves). So it grows well here. As I am not familiar with growing I can't help you out with that but check out a local grower in your area or somewhere close to the area you live in and see if they have any tips for your location. Try to buy some local garlic to plant as it will be more adapted to your conditions. Its probably not the cold that is your problem. Maybe the soil type??? Or your timing of planting???

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

You may want to check with your local cooperative extension as well. Here in Alaska there are folks growing Garlic, so I know it can be done. Hoping to try it soon myself.

• kjrobinson54
    kjrobinson54 Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

The first thing I can say is ALWAYS make sure you are buying hardneck garlic bulbs.

Your description of slimy bits gives me the impression you probably planted the softneck variety. This will only grow well in the warmer climates. To get a decent harvest with softneck garlic in cold climates is a lot more work and aggravation to make sure the bulbs do withstand the cold.

Then be sure you are planting your hardneck variety at the correct planting time for your area and you should not have too many problems. As long as garlic is planted following a few basic rules you will generally get a good harvest.