diy survival and how it might help us some day

Comments

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

We never know what tomorrow holds so we need to be as prepared as we are able. Through good and bad the human spirit prevails.

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Seeing that more all the time with climate change. Now getting hit with more severe storms and torrential rain storms. Lots of trees being uprooted and snapped off in my area. Not sure what the future will bring. Just trying to be prepared for whatever may happen. Starting to put in some small solar power projects to help out on the homestead. Will keep checking for more ideas from you guys. Thanks for keeping me inspired.

• dianne.misspooz
    dianne.misspooz Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

Once a year I teach 72 hour emergency kits to my coworkers for our All Hands meetings. They are always so grateful. I think everyone now has an extra pair of sneakers, a blanket and water in their cars and a backpack filled with emergency essentials ready to go. I'm so thankful for people that will listen and take to heart what they've learned.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Once a year I go through our "Go Bags" to make sure all consumables are up to date and some times I replace items with other more effective ones. We also have "Get home Bags" for our cars. I think having 72 hours of supplies is wise. I'm not concerned about a Zombie Apocalypse, I am concerned about weather events and man-made disasters. For most things we would shelter in place, but it is for the totally unexpected that we keep the bags.

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

I drive in the rural mts in central PA. I carry a bug out bag in my van with extra blankets all the time. Co workers who do not drive in the mts are always giving me a hard time about my supplies. But I want to be safe not sorry. Last year I had not put the bug out bag back in the van after a change of vans and hit a deer. I had to wait 2 hours for a tow truck, on a cold rainy night. I didn't even have gloves in the van. I got so cold. Never again it's the first thing into the van from now on.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,498 admin
    edited February 2020

I don't embrace the prepper logo - I guess the way I grew up gives me a different view. My grandfather's fam was almost entirely self sufficient - all food... meat, veg, fruit, honey... everything but salt was produced on site, water came from the well (that had a backup hand pump), he had an electric generator (that did need fuel... but, gosh if I could tell him about solar, wood gas, bio digesters... he would have LOVED it and fully embraced it)… he built his own house, was a carpenter, brick mason and furniture builder. He even dug a legit fallout shelter, with its own filtered water source, power, heat, fileted air exchanged, underground and with lead lined doors. Honestly, he could do anything and he was a Permaculture practitioner before the word, Permaculture, was coined. He could fix a truck or tractor, run a saw mill, weld, do plumbing, electricity, gunsmithing, keep bees, train horses and dogs, cure meat, hunt, fish, trap, fight, raise livestock, dig ponds, act as his own veterinarian and doctor... even put on a suit and hold political offices... give people jobs, build houses and churches for others.. loan money, create a community... anything. His philosophy is mine. I just want to get back to that. I'm not a prepper... I'm just trying to be even a fraction of the man my grandfather and his father, etc, etc were. So, when someone asks if I'm a prepper, I answer, "Not really, I'm just trying to be a traditional, southern MAN." Apologies to Neil Young, but "Southern men don't need him around anyhow"... post CSNY anyway … that was a good album!

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 your grandfather sounds like a great man. Would have loved to meet him and hang around with and just pick his brain. All the jobs I have held all my life was so I could learn a new skill. I am now passing those skills on to my children and my grandchildren. They love to come hang out with grandpa. I love teaching them how so acquire food and raise their own food. An exciting journey for all of us.