Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Tomato varieties — The Grow Network Community
🌙 Have you ever heard of a Moon Garden? Do you have one that you want to share photos of? Check out this Moon Garden discussion created by smockv!

Tomato varieties

jodienancarrowjodienancarrow Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

Up until this year, I had mostly grown Roma, Gross Lisse and good old cherry toms. This year I decided to branch out and try some others and now 3/4 way through the growing season I can report my findings. I planted Black Krim, tigerella, ox heart and tomato berry. Black krim are meaty without too many seeds, strange colour, not black not red, so can be hard to tell when ripe but very nice. Tigerella, small to mid size, sweet juicy with a toughish skin, great in salads. Ox heart has hardly produced, so hard to comment, disappointing. Tomato berry, similar to cherry toms with a different shape and slightly tougher skin, lots of fruit. This year I've tried hard to hand water the ground/roots only and not getting thd whole plant wet, I do believe this helps big time. I've also fed with lime and seaweed liquid fertiliser.

Comments

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow

This past summer was the first time I grew 'early girl'. I was shocked totally. i had an endless supply of maters. The flavor was good enough, the size was medium at best, but when the other maters took their 'okla heat hiatus', the early girl kept on going. I had plenty for sauce or slicing, plus the other varieties.

Among my fav's that I have grown are: Paul Robison, pink berkely tie dye, brandy wine pink, cherokee purple is awesome, and black cherry cherry tomato is awesome. Oh I forgot, black elephant was the most fun mater I have ever grown and it tasted pretty good too, huge, blackish red. And the large barred boar beautiful shimmering green on red and huge.

I have some real interesting mater species and pepper spicies I plan on growing this summer so am anxious to get them started pretty soon.

To keep the water off the mater plants, I also water at the base, but I mulch with a good thick layer of straw and I always clip off the branches at the base at least to about 6 to 8 inches to help keep water borne issues off them and I usually don't have any problems with them. don't forget to use epsome salt as it helps with the uptake of nutrients, and plant them deep leaving only the crown, enough to ensure adequat photosyntheses. Everywhere the soil is in contact with the stalk becomes root system making a stronger plant, and much less susceptible to disease issues and more tolerant to drought.

• gardneto76gardneto76 Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Boy do I understand the patiently waiting for some tomatoes! I started San Marzano Lungo no 2’s Last March! The heat really stunted them so I babies them through the summer. As we cooled of my 1 surviving plant is LOADED with tomatoes that I am waiting to ripen. This is my first time growing them. I also purchased a start of some kind of cosmic tomato but it looks more like a green zebra and is very firm; and a cream sausage tomato. No color or firmness change in over a month. We have pretty mild winters with only a few weeks that have to frost protect them.

• jodienancarrowjodienancarrow Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

It seems you have way more varieties in the US. I've not heard of the ones you mention here!

• toreytorey Posts: 339 ✭✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow What country are you in? I am in Canada and most of the above varieties are available here. Garden stores don't always have the best selection but the seed catalogues list many, many varieties of tomatoes.

I'm in Australia and yes I think you are right re nurseries/garden stores with plants and seeds. That reminds me, we do have an heirloom seed supplier, I will get in contact with them. Thanks for keeping it simple!

• toreytorey Posts: 339 ✭✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow

I do hope you are in a safe area! Where I live was hard hit with fires in 2017 and 2018 so we know what you are going through and all our thoughts are with everyone in Australia!

@torey thanks for that. Yes safe atm but fires around here in Nov. Saved by a wind change. Not out of the woods yet, only 1/2 way through summer and still no rain to speak of. Staying vigilant. Down on the south coast has been catastrophic, unseen before this. Thanks for the kind thoughts. I hope your area is regenerating and getting back to near normal.

@jodienancarrow

Hi Jodie... I get most of my tomato seeds from baker creek seed. Check out the section bred by Brad Gates out of calif for those seeds.

Baker creek has some amazing varieties of peppers this season too.

@jodienancarrow

Living in Australia I'm wondering if you ever watch 'self sufficient me' on youtube, done by 'Mark' and sometimes his family but lots of good stuff and he is 99.9% awesomely funny and a real sweet seeming guy making his vids always fun, as well as interesting to watch. You might check him out ans see what you think if you haven't already.

@silvertipgrizz never heard of self sufficient mark, will look him up, thanks for the tip

@jodienancarrow

he's awesome and I worry about him and his family with all the fires. He really makes a great contribution to the home gardener.

He is one of my fav 5 you tubers.

• MerinPorterMerinPorter Editorial Director Southwest Colorado (Zone 6a)Posts: 403 admin

Thanks so much for these tips! I'm in Zone 6a, and our growing season is pretty short, so I go with Early Girls every year, and I also plant some Super Sweet 100s. Those are my standards, and then I'll play around with other varieties each year. Many of the heirloom varieties take too long to ripen for my growing season, although I still do try them from time to time. I've also had good success with the Chocolate Sprinkles variety of cherry tomatoes, too -- they're tasty and they look amazing!