Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

What's your thing? — The Grow Network Community
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.

-Jack Canfield

What's your thing?

jodienancarrowjodienancarrow Mid North Coast AustraliaPosts: 450 admin

I'm a retired person with a bit more time up my sleeve these days. My mantra is live as healthy as possible and to look after my partner and I, so we can live and enjoy life to the fullest. Neither of us take any medication (pharmaceutical) and we grow our own veggies, eat seasonally and only buy what we can't produce. I'm aware that we need extra goodies to complement our diet. What to choose? We have so much information at our fingertips and choice can sometimes be difficult but this is what I've come up with to help us along the way.

We start every morning with a splash of ACV in water, take a supplement - Vital all in One, contains vitamins, minerals, greens,protein, herbs, mushrooms, digestive enzymes etc 10g powder in 300mls water. Drink water, green tea. Upped our fruit and veg. Lowered our intake of meat and only eat it if its grass fed and organic. Introduced legumes, chick peas, beans etc. Increased seed and nut intake, especially walnuts(my fav) I make golden paste (tumeric/pepper/oil/water. Hardly eat bread and use gluten free products where possible. Varied our grain intake, quinoa, rice, oats, polenta. Cut back on alcohol. Introduced different herbs to our diet. I have been going through menopause for 10 yrs now and it's not looking like leaving me anytime soon. I do take a herbal tablet with increased amounts of Ashwaganda and Rhodiola. I believe we're active, try to walk 5km a day, garden, maintain our property etc. So I believe we are on our way to a healthier us. We could both lose a bit of weight but we are happy with our lot in life.

What is it you believe important? What's your thing? Happy to learn what others do.

Comments

• Mary Linda BittleMary Linda Bittle Posts: 614 ✭✭✭✭

I try to eat well, but I also enjoy an occasional pizza and I eat ice cream (I do read the labels now and choose fewer ingredients). I cook at home most of the time, using the best and freshest foods I can. I drink mostly water and teas and 1 cup of coffee a day. I think it's very important to enjoy life, with moderate amounts of treats. But I don't do corn syrup and limit sugar (most days).

I am a school custodian, so I get LOTS of exercise, and I walk and garden.

Keeping stress at bay is a major thing for me. I suck at meditation. But I read every day, do crafts, learn something new, and use relaxing herbs in teas or tinctures. I am actively looking for a new job with less physical stress, but I'm 61, so it's harder than it used to be to move along.

Good sleep is so important! Getting outside is important! Nature study and animal tracking are passions of mine. Find your passion(s)!

But a big thing for me is keeping a gratitude journal. I've started using my Facebook page to share with my friends, and every day I post 3 things that I'm thankful for that day. Sometimes it's tiny, small things. Often, at least one is about something cool I saw in nature.

Enjoy life, as much as you are able and can afford to!

• jodienancarrowjodienancarrow Mid North Coast AustraliaPosts: 450 admin

@Mary Linda Bittle great advice. I don't think the average person realises how stress can affect them and yes being grateful is so important. In the last couple of years I've started tapping (EFT) I just spend 10mins in the morning, my quiet time and thinking about whatevers on my mind and go with that and tap. It does work. Thanks for the tips.

• HassenaHassena Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Good day, well our new thing is quickly becoming goats. :)

WE moved three ago to rural western North Carolina. We love it out here. It's been cold, but the wood stove keeps us warm.

Husband and I, love to joke around. Laughter has helped us get through most days. We carry a little happiness where ever we go. Daughter has picked up on this. She loves joking around. Even little pranks with those rings that squirt water. Whoopee cushions and such. Her laughter brightens any day.

Stress is a huge thing. Stress can be so consistent, financials, home repairs, sick animals and jobs. Another reason to keep it light and learn to laugh and enjoy the day no matter what it delivers Seeking the solutions.

Good question. Can't wait to hear from more folks.