Losing weight with herbs & spices

LaurieLovesLearning
LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin
edited September 2021 in General Health

First of all, anyone want to join me?

This is not a resolution, but something that I have been trying to get up the nerve to start for a while, losing weight. I want to do it for me. Anyone else who benefits, well that is a bonus. 😉

I eat fairly healthy. I prefer whole foods over processed, drink raw milk (grass fed with a little barley), cut out corn, do like my homemade wheat bread (real whole grain), & eat little sugar and little salt.

I can't get my head around the inflammatory badmouthing of milk (even raw?) when my great grandfather & grandfather were slim and could drank a glass of raw cream. That just seems to be modern fear mongering to me.

Anyway, I have been following a lady (who has an expensive program) for a while who claims that spices helped her lose weight and with no exercise. No deprivation, she claims. Key word...helped. She cuts out grains, milk, and sugar (and uses synthetic sugar substitutes...yuck). She says you can eat lots of her foods (recipes included), but then says "portion sizes" are part of it. Later on, she does use exercise, but "to tone." So deprivation & exercise are still a part. I don't know that it is any more sustainable (sustainable is a claim) than any other diet system.

However, there is good evidence that herbs & spices can help.

My plan so far is to get some real cinnamon. My (incomplete) plan afterward follows:

•drink yogi tea every morning & drink golden milk every evening

•be more consistent watching my portion sizes (just some tweaking)

•go to bed at 10 PM

•incorporate more varied spices into my meals

•start walking again...but it is so cold...

In my next post (when I have more time), I will include what I have learned about certain spices and the role that they can play.

Any herbs or spices that you are aware of that have proven benefits, please list them. I would like to play and experiment to see what works best for me.

Please list them for easy reference as such:

Spice/herb - benefit(s)

Comments

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

cayenne- temporarily raises your metabolism, can suppress appetite

Source:

It says the appetite suppression works best in people who do not normally eat it. That's the truth! I've been a chili-head since I was a child, and sometimes will eat when I'm not hungry just to get my spicy fix. But I bet it works great for the normal people.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@Laurie

Rose Hips - Helps to decrease visceral fat. The constituent, tiliroside, accelerates fat metabolism.

Chickweed (Stellaria media) - Helps suppress the appetite. Saponins help emulsify fat and flush it from the body.

Ayurvedic combination Triphala - There is some evidence that this may help some people control their weight. It increases digestive motility so would be suited for someone with a sluggish digestive system.

Green Tea - Boosts metabolism.

Cinnamon - Helps control blood glucose levels; as little as 1/2 tsp per day. May help curb hunger cravings.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your efforts.

• blevinandwomba

fennel- appetite suppresent.

I believe mint is as well.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Laurie - First, Please look at that Conscious want = "lose weight". - And realize that no matter what you want to change, it is actually your Subconscious mind that makes any changes. (Just like Raising your Temp for a good/strong Fever so the bug fails; - or getting you ready to RUN for your life, - or Wake you UP in the morning - or literally billions... of other actions, none of which you have any conscious control over.

And the top Directive of your Subconscious is to keep you Alive & Safe. So it hears 'LOSE weight', & goes lose ?? - Um, that does not sound like SAFE at all. - Yes, it might go along with what you Consciously want, for a while; but have you Noticed that for all too many people the change does Not stick, & they Yo-Yo. - Sure there are many reasons for such failure, but as well people are not taught the phenomenal power of their Subconscious mind.

Another thing: This past year while being daily tempted by clients downing the most abysmal, gag-a-maggot stuff from walmart, & telling me that I was being ungrateful if I did not join them, I added to my Healthy 110 another 25 lbs. Yes, it's embarrassing to admit. - But as I STOPped that nonsense, I found that at least 10 lbs of it was only INFLAMMATION, & not fat at all. - So how do you know which is inflammation, & which is fat, or both, or something else? - Well, I listen to God, & my Subconscious & between the both of them they lead me Right. - As Both only want your best, you might as well 🙂 join them.

So what I do is Mainly eat just one daily meal (at supper as I don't like going to bed hungry). I make sure it is has all the Nutrition a body needs to keep me healthy, plus some Mineral supps, etc. And this works pretty Good. And I'm well into my second half-century LOL - Tho I can be tempted... like anybody else, as currently I have still 15 lbs too many, so I tell myself "How much to do want to BE on the ice? Not until you fit comfortably into your Skating dresses, at your normal 110". oh boy! lol

I say that, because look at "Super-centenarians" (who never heard of new-fangled "lose-weight" ideas by the 100's being pushed now), & it wasn't their "genes" either. More & more it is proven that genes actually control precious little.

So were you to have shared the Above with me, my Take-aways would be: 1. Listen to Self-talk, to keep it Positive... & importantly Praise & Thank God & your Subconscious for the excellent job both have done this far to keep you alive. 2.Eat only what your body needs to keep you healthy. 3.Self-control. 4.Engage some physical activity that to YOU is pure & healthy Fun... (not farm-stuff, etc). Fun like a Little child: I can not emphasize this enough. You might also want to review what I shared here last year about the phenomenal Skill-set of LITTLE (preschooled) children, (in https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/comment/842803#Comment_842803 )

I wish you all the best in your efforts to control & manage your weight, but more importantly keep you Laurie Healthy.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited January 2020

@rainbow What I would like to do is start to incorporate more herbs & spices with purpose into my family's diet. This makes it sustainable. I am *not* following this woman's diet, nor anyone else's. As much as her participants lose weight, I believe her plan is not as healthy over time as it is made to look.

Like other things we have done & kept doing, adding one thing/step at a time makes the addition become a part of daily life, & is not a diet. Doing things this way helps with consistency.

I have been learning a lot about herbs & spices, & using certain foods to support the various body organs and systems. I want to put this knowledge into practice.

I want this part of my evolving journey to be pleasant, appealing, and satisfying...and again, lasting. Some herbs/spices will help with digestion (I want to try adding bitters), some for inflammation, some for fat loss/prevention. I use a variety in my food prep already, as I get tired of the same old thing. I like food to be exciting, full of flavor & color! I just have to remember to add my new additions. It is food flavor exploration. I want to learn to appreciate flavors that I may not have before too. I don't believe in "cutting out" anything completely either (unless highly processed), as that sets up for disaster. Real food & moderation is key.

I don't expect a magic bullet. I am happy enough with an over time loss.

I have needed to go to bed earlier for quite some time now. I am convinced that that is beneficial in do very many ways. It's just hard to break the bad habit. That little kid in me likes to be up. I need to be firm & send her to bed! 😂 It will also help cut down snacking (which she likes too), so a 2 in 1 benefit. It might help me get up earlier & help relieve some mental anguish & fogginess too, so a 3 in 1 benefit.

I am all over sore & tired (again, motivation for weight loss). My body needs a reprieve.

I think of how people say that a certain herb will "speak to you." For me, this means after learning benefits, recall comes when you need it. Repeated ah-ha moments makes you sit up & take notice. The yogi tea & golden milk daily hold so very much promise considering the benefits of each spice in them. Combined, it should be very good. I love both & am looking forward to using them.

I am not a fan of "exercise." I, like my grandpa, enjoy farm work. It is hard, thoroughly works the body, the mind, and is very good for weight loss, maintenance and sleep. It is better than any other exercise, hands down. My problem is that these are things that for the most part, I can't do anymore for one reason or another. I dislike walking, but knowing its various benefits, will do great things for me. When I did this in the past, it was very good overall.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

• Torey

@Laurie I think you are on the right track with making small changes that will stick. Your golden milk and yogi tea should help to reduce the inflammation in your body, making hard work not so depleting and/or painful.

You mentioned the thought of trying bitters. I love bitters and making my own. Rosalee de la Foret is big on bitters and has several recipes. This is a link to her Grapefruit Bitters. https://learningherbs.com/remedies-recipes/digestive-grapefruit-bitters/ . This one is for Orange and Elecampane Bitters. https://www.herbalremediesadvice.org/herbal-bitters-recipe.html . Part of her Taste of Herbs class will be back in the Fall of 2020 and it includes her e-book on bitters (or you can purchase it online). She has an awesome Pear Spiced Bitters recipe in that course. Her new book which I hope will be out very soon has a new recipe for Douglas Fir and Mandarin Bitters (which I was fortunate enough to be a tester for). I really like its flavour. But I love the taste of bitter so I think just about any bitters recipe is amazing.

And this is a link to one of Rosalee's recipes that uses vinegar as the base instead of alcohol. Good article on the benefits of digestive bitters as well. https://www.herbalremediesadvice.org/digestive-bitters.html .

• LaurieLovesLearning

So below are your suggestions in alphabetical order (so far, I know there are more out there), combined with additions from my notes. I plan to add what I can to foods whenever they fit to accent flavor greatly, but not overpower. Teas will help boost my fluid intake. Any additional information on use is welcomed.

Burdock (gobo root) - botter, liver support, prebiotic. Soup/tea/veg

Cayenne- metabolism raised temporarily, appetite suppressant (can help ×4 weight loss). Can be used post-exercise with protein to increase effect. Most meats/veg

Chickweed (Stellaria media) - appetite suppressant, diuretic. Saponins help emulsify fat and flush it from the body. Tea/salad

Cinnamon - Helps control blood glucose levels; as little as 1/2 tsp per day, which cuts down on fat storage (belly fat loss). May help curb hunger cravings. Used in Yogi tea. Tea/meats/which foods?

Coriander - supposedly a "belly flattener" (in 5 days with 3 tsp/day), can use the leaf form, cilantro. Salad/Meats

Cumin - speeds up digestion ×3 (1 tsp./day). Meats/Other?

Dandelion- digestive bitter, diuretic, activates metabolism (tincture/eat 20 min. before meal). Salad/Other?

Fennel - appetite suppressant. Tea/What other foods?

Graham Masala - mix of spices combining weight loss benefits, suppresses appetite. Not sure of use yet.

Ginger - digestive. Use 1" in tea...no tea was specifically stated, but our Bangladeshi friend said that fresh ginger tea is a common tea. Used in Yogi tea. Tea/Meats/other?

Green Tea - Boosts metabolism. Tea/incorporated into?

Mint (Peppermint) - appetite suppressant, digestive herb decreasing bloating. Tea/Salad/Other?

Nutmeg - increases blood flow, helps induce sleep. Tart cherry Juice/Other?

Parsley - a bitter, diuretic, digestion. Salads/Meats/Veg

Pepper, black - can help burn the same amount of energy as a 20- min. walk, helps certain spices work more effectively. Used in foods, golden milk, & Yogi tea. Meats/Salads/Veg

Peppercorn (black sizhuan), found in Asian food stores - speeds up digestion ×2. Not sure?

Red clover (tea) - lymphatic, diuretic. Tea

Rhodiola (tincture) - adaptogen, can help support weight loss, balance hormones, fights fatigue. Tincture

Rose Hips (tea) - Helps to decrease visceral fat. The constituent, tiliroside, accelerates fat metabolism. Tea/Other?

Rosemary - anti-inflammatory, digestive herb, good for heart, circulatory Meats/Salad/Veg/Tea?

Saffron (I doubt I'll use this, too expensive) - for sugar cravings. Meat/Veg

Stinging Nettle - water retention loss, kidney tonic. Tea/Sauteed/Soup/Other?

Triphala (Ayurvedic combination) - There is some evidence that this may help some people control their weight. It increases digestive motility so would be suited for someone with a sluggish digestive system. Tincture

Turmeric - lose double the fat, reduce inflammation, moves blood & bile, supports digestive system, many more benefits. This is in golden milk, paired with other spices to bring out its best benefits. Meat/Veg/Tea

Combos:

Dukkah seasoning (look at this great combo!):

https://www.herbalremediesadvice.org/seaweed-benefits.html

CCF tea - combines cumin, coriander & fennel (1 tsp. each:4 c. water), stimulating digestive fire & supporting eliminatory organs. Sip between meals

Yogi tea - green cardamom pods, black peppercorns, cloves, ginger, cinnamon sticks, other non- spice ingredients. My choice of timing: morning

Golden milk - turmeric, black pepper, other non spice ingredients. My choice of timing: evening

For my next step, I want to make an easy to reference chart (I like charts) of each herb/spice, benefits in the next column, and how to use them (as tea, pairing with what meats/veg/fruits, etc.), time of day for best benefit, if necessary.

Food notes:

Cut back on carbs a bit further

Bitters to be taken 5-10 min before a meal (dandelion, burdock).

Bladderwrack seaweed (if I can locate it) - insulin resistance, weight loss

Reishi mushroom can help relieve stress. I don't know if I will use this. It depends on availability.

Beets & carrots support the liver & digestive system. Brussels Sprouts are a bitter veg.

Homemade butter mints will balance blood sugar & reduce sugar cravings

These are in addition to our already real, whole foods diet.

Other actions:

Eat a balanced breakfast

Tweak portion size

Bitters in salad/tincture form

Increase my fluid/water intake. Herbal teas should help

To bed by 10

Walk outside every other day/daily (it is good for so much more than weight loss)

I expect to see some sort of results from this. At the very least, it will be fun to experiment and nothing in this is unreasonable, overly abnormal, nor too extreme. I am glad that my family is open to a variety of flavors & trying new things!

I need to get that real, delicate cinnamon. I will begin with some of this even before I get the real cinnamon. One step at a time. 😁

• LaurieLovesLearning

@torey Thanks! I will add your comments to my list.

I keep calling ceylon "the real cinnamon" because I can never remember the name. 🤦‍♀️ It is just one of those things. More rosemary needed for this brain! Haha

I have bought my spices from http://vanillafoodcompany.ca in the past. I just haven't put in an order there for a while. They seem to keep fresh spices (they are so very good & cheaper in bulk). I have looked up Harmonic Arts since, but should revisit the site.

• Jens the Beekeeper
    Jens the Beekeeper Posts: 651 admin

@Laurie Over here in Germany we have a famous dressing for cold eggs, cold fish, or vegetables made up of seven basic herbs. It is rooted back to the mother of the poet Goethe

chervil, parsley, chive, sorrel, salad burnet, cress, borage all together 150g, cut them up and add 100ml oillike sunflower oil, 200g sour cream some mustard. mix everything together. it tasted really good and you have a lot of fresh herbs.

borage is one of my favourite herbs with cucumbers as well as dill. As far as I remeber both are good for creating fluids in the lung region.

I can only second the positive effects of walking. We have a dog since 2 month and I lost already 6 kg just from more walking with the dog, ok and cutting back on the crisps.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited January 2020

Interesting dressing. I like to make my own. I never buy it.

I will have to try it out.

• blevinandwomba

Well, you probably already thought of this, but Indian recipes are your best friend if you are trying to incorporate more spices. This is one of my favorite food blogs.

Cumin is good on everything- well, maybe not desserts. I don't know what it does to the health benefits, but I've been known to toast cumin seeds and then eat them out of hand. I make dairy-free "Not-cho" sauce, with pureed vegetables, nutrional yeast, and some kind of fat, and I usually season with cumin to give that "taco" taste. Also love it on stirfried vegetables.

Fennel is great in Italian sausage, though you are not going to get much that way. It's also in a lot of curries. Try putting fennel into the search engine in the above blog, and quite a few recipes come up. Also, people used to nibble on the raw seeds as a breath freshener if I recall.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@blevinandwomba I had thought of that! Thanks for your input.

• Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

@Laurie You need to add more to your description of burdock root.

It also;

1. is rich in essential nutrients, minerals, and antioxidants.
    2. contains chlorogenic acid (which also happens to be a component of green coffee beans); this compound reduces redness and swelling — not to mention, it also promotes normal blood glucose levels and fat metabolism. which promotes a healthy body weight.
    3. is a natural diruetic for the kidneys.
    4. promotes healthy skin and hair.
    5. is a universal antidote. Even effective against arsenic.

I read that arsenic is found in virtually all types of rice nowadays, so I always rinse my rice and I add a tablespoon of burdock root powder and turmeric before cooking it.

There are no known interactions between burdock and conventional medications. However, you don't want to use it if you take diuretics, are using diabetes medications or blood-thinning medications, without checking with your doctor first.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited January 2020

@Leslie Carl I didn't know that burdock is an arsenic antidote. Interesting! I love the earthy flavor of burdock. I bet that putting a bit of fresh root would taste great in rice. We use a rice blend because my husband says all others plug him up. It has red, brown, and wild rice (which technically is not rice) and a couple of others. Once cooked, it turns purple. It isn't pasty either. I really enjoy the complex flavors it has.

As far as my adventure goes...I like to call it that, because it is a fun adventure in so many ways...I have started haphazardly with a few things. I say haphazardly because I have not put everything into a fully working plan as of yet...and still need a few things. Right now, I would consider it dabbling & experimenting with flavors.

I made CCF tea. I am not a huge fan of either cumin nor fennel, but I can tolerate this tea. It is okay. The kids like it. Yay, kids!

I went to make dukkah seasoning, which fascinates me, but forgot to buy hazelnuts. Bummer.

I made yogi tea with cassia, but am taking a little break before making more. Tonight, I am adding golden milk.

I have beets, carrots & brussels sprouts (I very barely tolerate the b. sprouts, but most of the kids love them.) I have strange kids. Haha

I am adding a greater amount of spices to my cooking, a bit at a time so it is not overdone too quickly. Hot spicy foods are getting a boost. I make pudding from our raw milk & farm eggs, and have spiced it with cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Raw butter & honey are added off heat. I might add lots of cocoa on occasion. My homemade vanilla extract is just too expensive to replace ATM, so it is for special occasions only. Whole grain flour as a thickener is not always desired. I like the smoothness of cornstarch, but not its source (corn.) Anyone have a similar substitute? Tapioca doesn't cut it.

I bought garam masala. It smells interesting. I read that it is great in apple pie, but I'm not going there right now... I still need to figure out what I am doing with it.

I want to get some cucumbers & lemons & try flavoring our natural spring water with peppermint, cuc, lemon and ginger. This sounds tasty & is supposed to help flatten the tummy. I just need variety in my choices (I crave variety), and doing this should help.

I have to work next on sleep & exercise (it warmed up a lot) and remembering to take the Triphala in the evening. My memory is horrible.

I believe that my constitution is cold and perhaps dry (not sure, I need to revisit that stuff). According to a Banyan constitution survey, I need to balance my Vata Dosha.

• Torey

@Laurie What is the brand of rice you are using? It sounds excellent. I am a big fan of wild rice.

• blevinandwomba

@Laurie You can use arrowroot for pudding, but it is a little more finicky. It's sticking in my mind that you should not cook it as long.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@torey We use Nuworld Wholesome Wild Rice Blend. It comes in a 2 lb. bag. You can find it at Superstore, Sobeys, Safeway & I think, Walmart.

It is from www.ricepeople.com and is packaged in Richmond.

Ok...here are the correct contents: Short grain brown rice, black sweet rice, red rice, wild rice.

• ines871

Wow, @Laurie - Glad you have so much $$ to buy all these new new-to-you items. More health to you! 🙂

• Torey

@Laurie Thanks. I'll pick some up next time I get into town. Looking forward to trying it. Looks like a good company.

• Leslie Carl

@Laurie Wow! Purple rice sounds fun!

Here's a link to quite a few substitutes for cornstarch and how to use them; https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/substitutes-for-cornstarch

Here's a recipe for Garam Masala Hummus; https://minimalistbaker.com/garam-marsala-hummus-with-toasted-sesame-seeds/

You can also make your own Garam Masala. Here's a recipe from LearningHerbs.com;

This traditional Indian spiced blend works well in curries and on meats and veggies. We cook a lot of Indian-inspired cuisine and this mix goes in practically every dish.

What you’ll need...

• 2 parts cumin powder

• 2 parts coriander powder

• 1 part turmeric powder

• 1/2 part cinnamon powder

• 1/4 part ground cloves

• 1/4 part ground cardamom

Measure the ingredients out into a bowl. Mix well.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@rainbow I don't, but if I don't try to put a little more effort into feeling better, nothing will improve. To make it a lasting change, I need to be able to look forward to these changes & enjoy them. My family also has to willingly be on board. It helps that I buy some of these things already and know where to get deals on the more expensive spices. Raw butter & milk we have in excess right now. We get local honey in bulk from a local farmer. Organic whole wheat berries are cheaper here than buying the cheapest white flour from the store. I am very conscious about where our money goes. I am pretty frugal and know how to cut back and stretch absolutely everything. This, however, requires stretching in other areas to facilitate some of the new things.

As always, there is sacrifice in some areas to support others (the triphala & yogi tea may be my biggest cost). We did this long, long ago as we switched over to healthier food choices. This is just refining it with some more creativity (which I am always doing anyway) and added purpose. I am also looking for the best value while retaining higher quality standards. I doubt that there is a need for everything listed here either, but it gives options. Some spices will be longer lasting too. Ah...and I won't be buying saffron! Haha

Thank you for your wishes. I hope I see a lasting benefit.

@blevinandwomba I will have to check into cost. I love the delicate smell of arrowroot! Cooking milk for less time is better anyway!

@Leslie Carl Thank you!

• ines871

@Laurie - when writing in "Nuworld Wholesome Wild Rice Blend", got https://www.amazon.com/Thyme-Seasons-Purple-Rice-Blend/dp/B074FD7KKW is that close to what you eat ?

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@Laurie you have a big list here. Lifestyle changes are easier to incorporate and have long term effects if you make commitments to small things daily.

I know how exciting the world of herbs are. I have been studying them for over 15 years and learn something new every day. I also know how motivating it is make big changes when you don’t feel great and how easy it is to be discouraged without instant results and how overwhelming it can be with so many pieces of the puzzle.

Here are my two cents.

First cut only one thing out of your diet at a time and see how that feels. Start with refined sugars ( no chemical substitutes; use fruit or honey). Then cut complex carbs like bread and pasta. So on and so forth until you find what You need.

Add only one new herb into your diet every month. Eat/drink/apply it every day so you know exactly how it effects YOU. I would suggest an herb that has multiple benefits to your family needs. Take rosemary for example; it gives mental clarity, supports insulin production, releases fatty tissues, provides lubrication to joints and cells, and relieves tension headaches. I could go on but you get the idea. If you really can’t wait please don’t add more than three herbs in a month that you have not been working with.

By doing it slow you will know if your reaction is to this herb or if it’s related to something else. If you start adding all these new things at once you won’t know what is and is not working.

For weight loss and strength nothing works like exercise. Just move your body in ways that make you feel good. Have a dance party with your kids, take walks with your neighbor. Personally I alternate squats and planks while my tea kettle heats every day. I take walks on the beach and garden, that’s all. It doesn’t have to be formal just move. A large part of exercise success rates is due to mental clarity and stress reduction which leads to less cortisol which means less fat accumulation.

May your lifestyle journey be fun and fulfilling❤️

• tammyrichardsmt9
    tammyrichardsmt9 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

I need to work at doing this. I don't diet, but would like to incorporate more healthy habits for me and for my family. I love the idea of incorporating more herbs.

• Leslie Carl

@Laurie Yes, saffron is crazy expensive, but there are some less expensive substitutes that can be used. Here's a good article about substitutes, in case you are interested; https://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-good-saffron-substitute.htm#didyouknowout

• Torey

@Leslie Carl and @Laurie

I had a look at this site and my comment is on safflower. I have grown it and used it in place of saffron; works very well as a saffron substitute. Deserves the name American Saffron. Grew well for me and I am in zone 4.

• ines871

@herbantherapy Excellent suggestions, & so well said.

• LaurieLovesLearning

No, the rice in that blend is different. Ours has in this order: short grain brown rice, black sweet rice, red rice, & wild rice.

It sound like this particular brand might only be sold in Canada, but you could ask them if they do have any sales to the US. Contact them through their website: http://www.ricepeople.com

They also have an article near the bottom of the main page about arsenic in rice.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@torey @Leslie Carl My question would be moreut about medicinal qualities. That would be my purpose for it. If it would be just for color or flavor, it would not serve the purpose for me in thus case...but it is good to know that I could have a substitute for other purposes.

I think that I learned that some companies will dishonestly market marigold and some similar flowers as saffron. It is cheaper, and they would sell it as the real saffron. On the same travel documentary about the spice road ("The Spice Trail" with Kate Humble, which was on the knowledgechannel.ca), was a saffron tasting. It was very informative. I am not sure if the show could be found elsewhere, but it is most likely a BBC production. Actually, "The Spice Trail" series was quite interesting.