witch hazel extract
My witch hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) should be flowering very soon. I know Dr. Patrick Jones says to see where plants are putting their energy when deciding an appropriate harvest time. Since witch hazel extract is made from the tips of the twigs, this seems like the time to try it.
I have looked at a couple of different sources for making the extract. Euell Gibbons set up a homemade still to obtain the beneficial compounds. Would my steam juicer do the same thing? My husband said that since tannins are water soluble, a decoction should work; that seems much simpler than hauling out all of the equipment for the other methods. I'm thinking the decoction would probably be stronger as well.
Has anyone made homemade witch hazel extract? If so, what method did you use?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 356 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter