Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Beautiful Sage — The Grow Network Community
You grow through consistency

- Gary Vaynerchuk

Beautiful Sage

lmrebertlmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Growing Medicinals

Comments

• greyfurballgreyfurball Southeastern PennsylvaniaPosts: 592 ✭✭✭✭

I just saw a video from Kami McBride a few days ago where she showed how easily you can preserve edible sage (be careful seems there is a lot of non-edible varieties available also).

All you do is harvest the leaves, throw them in a hot cast iron skillet and keep stirring FREQUENTLY (to prevent scorching). Once the leaves look shriveled and dry and crinkly you are done.

That's a whole lot easier than waiting for the dehydrator or drying them by air.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texasseeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 765 ✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball I saw that video and so want to try that! I have a glass top stove though so will have to figure something out lol.

• greyfurballgreyfurball Southeastern PennsylvaniaPosts: 592 ✭✭✭✭

@seeker.nancy can't say for sure since I don't know your make and model but many of the glass-topped lines of stoves can use cast iron also. All they ask is do not ever slide your pan across the stove, you must pick it up and put it down whenever you need to move it.

I only mention it because I have one also and I use my cast iron much of the time on it.

If you still have your manual and you've never checked it out, dig it out and call the company. I have another friend who thought she couldn't also and she called and it was fine for her too.

No guarantees but maybe there is a chance.

• herbantherapyherbantherapy Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I dry mine in paper bags but find I lose a lot of flavor. Maybe the quick dry on the stove will help? Or maybe it just has to be rehydrated for the flavor to come out??

• seeker.nancy - Central Texasseeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 765 ✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball Okay, thanks! I don't have paperwork since this stove came with the house but I should be able to look online at their website and maybe download a guide or contact them. That would be so awesome since I love cooking in cast iron, thanks!