Keto

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Recipes

So @rainbow asked me about my keto experience, so I thought I'd make a post of it. Here it goes.

First off, my experience with the ketogenic diet was not particularly positive. That being said, I think it does work for some people; we are all different. I have since found a diet which is a much better fit for me, but if keto works for you, I am glad to hear it. Also, I would like define terms, as "keto" is used pretty loosely sometimes. My understanding is that the goal of the diet is too keep the body in a state of ketosis- which means that the body no longer uses glucose for energy. In order to get and stay in ketosis one must severely limit carbohydrate intake.

Usually it is recommended to keep carbs between 20- 30 g a day, with many saying, to be safe, one should stay under 20. This is any carbohydrates in any food you eat; for example, an egg contains .5 of a carb, and cheeses contain .5- 3 carbs per serving, depending on type. It might sound silly to count .5 of a carb, but when you only have 20 to "spend", every little bit counts. For example, I often had eggs and fried cabbage for breakfast. Two eggs( 1 carb), 1 cup raw cabbage (just under 4 carbs). 5 carbs isn't much, but it's important to keep track of when it's 1/4 of what you can have that day.

I tried to ketogenic diet for several reasons. I was looking for improvement with several health issues, mainly hormone, digestive, and memory/concentration problems. I had already tried the AIP diet for these issues, with only a little success.I wanted to lose some weight(10-15 pounds). I was curious about keto, and I like to try knew things. Also, I really like fat; for once in my life I wanted to have alllll the fat I could choke down. Choke down is the appropriate term, as I will explain below.

I was on the ketogenic diet for, I believe, 9 weeks last year. Your body has to adapt to fat burning, so now matter how strictly you keep the diet, there will be a transition(though I have heard that if you have been in ketosis before, you can get back into more quickly than someone who has not). I wanted to give it at least 9 weeks, just to see it my body liked it. My body did not; in fact, my body took a very dim view of it.

Wow, this is getting really long and we all have a life to live. I will give in short what did not work for me, and if anyone wants me to elaborate I will be happy to.

1. I saw almost no improvement in the issues I had tried the diet for. Just didn't fix much for me.
  2. I have heard that the high fat content is so satisfying that you naturally control portions. This was not the case for me. I was almost always hungry even though the amount of fat I was eating sometimes turned my stomach.
  3. counting carbs is a pain, especially if you are hungry all the time so you are trying to eat all that you are allowed. I try to eat lots of vegetables, and most vegetables are not very low carb.
  4. My digestion slowed to a crawl- I could not go- it was really bad.
  5. I just felt icky. I never got past that, despite being very careful with my carbs, drinking water, etc.
  6. I only lost a little weight, probably because I usually didn't feel well enough to exercise
  7. electrolytes, electrolytes...When you severely limit carbs, your body does not retain water. You need to drink a lot more water, and you visit the bathroom a lot more frequently. It is very easy to get your electrolytes out of balance. I supplemented with magnesium, consumed a lot of potassium and calcium, and found out the hard way about sodium deficiency. I never had such severe leg cramps as when I was on keto. I would be so thirsty that I would wake up at night to drink, despite drinking right before bed.

When I was still struggling with these issues 9 weeks in, despite being very careful, I decided keto was not for me. The electrolytes were the clincher for me; I didn't think it should be such a struggle to keep them in balance. Yes, I know about "carb flu" but it should not be lasting for months, in my opinion.

So there's my piece. Now you all can give yours.

Comments

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @blevinandwomba Thanks for your Detailed explanation.

Whatever it is that I did, it was like 17 to 19 months !!, until I got so sick of even seeing or hearing the word keto.

It did help with the candida crap tho, Which kept me trucking along. But then my LABS became completely out of range, seriously. The lab, which knew I was following keto, could Not figger that out; so at last I quit, & am never going back. Then I UNsubscribed from all those "DO THIS, & BUY THAT". <- Actually I'm embarrassed admitting that I did such a goofy thing.

After about 2 months my Labs returned to a healthy range in all the Values. - I have gone back to how I normally eat which is mostly Identical to the Mediterranean way of eating. And it works the best for me.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    1. If digestion was at a crawl, were you eating frequently so the body had no chance to digest the foods?
    2. I have read and heard that the body needs, depending if you’re traveling through multiple time zones, 4-6 hours for our body to digest foods before the next meal.
    3. I’ve not read nor heard that “high fat content is so satisfying that you naturally controls portions.” It’s up to the person to plan and write out their food plan to control portions.
    4. Resource: www.brightlineeating.com
  • ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@teachercaryn Tho you were addressing this to @blevinandwomba I can speak to "high fat content is so satisfying that ..." - When you are in true ketosis (a state of burning fat for energy rather than carbs/glucose), you are really not hungry. You can also get into ketosis via Fasting, if you've ever done that. I fast routinely, so it is quite easy for me to get into a ketogenic state. - The main principles of the keto diet include eating a low carbohydrate, medium protein and high fat diet. 

While in it, supposedly to can't have Any fruits, but that is Not true. - As it happens I LOVE...

Avocado = 1/2 avocado contain a glorious 15g of heart-healthy fat, but it has less than 2g of net carbs.

Coconut = 1/2 cup Unsweetened shredded coconut meat yields 13g of fat, and a respectable 2.5g of net carbs.

Note: COCONUT oil contains more than 50% of the MCT called lauric acid. MCTs are easily digested and are an instant source of energy as they don’t need to be broken down before they’re used, unlike most other fats. Lauric acid has been shown to lower the hormone Ghrelin through elevated ketone production.“Ghrelin is the hormone responsible for regulating hunger. The more ghrelin you produce the hungrier you’ll be, the less ghrelin you produce the more satisfied you’ll be.

Blackberries = 1/4 cup has lots/2 Gms. Fiber + 1.5g net carbs, so you can definitely add these to morning Greek yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon. Cinnamon helps to control blood sugar which can eliminate some cravings on a keto diet.

Raspberries = 1/4 cup also has about 1.5g of net carbs.

Strawberries = 1/4 cup little more than 2g of net carbs – or about 10% of daily limit if aiming for 20g of net carbs a day.

Tomatoes = 1/2 cup has 2g of net carbs, cherry tomatoes are a great addition to keto diet.

(The two that I did not eat were: Lemons A squeeze from a wedge has under 1/2 a gram of net carbs. And

Olives, they just dont sit well with me. ) Ten small olives 3g of fat & about 1.5g of net carbs. Bonus: They’re salty, and getting enough sodium is important when following a keto diet.

EGGS - are high in protein and healthy fats which take longer to break down and digest therefore keeping you fuller longer.

There is also Nutcheese .

I Never felt hungry on keto, & could easily go without food for 2 days, which is great as >I eat to live<. NOT live to eat, yuck.

I need to leave for work now. Enjoy a Happy day everyone ! 🙂

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

@teachercaryn to answer your questions

1. I was following intermittent fasting at the time, so while breakfast, lunch and supper were not far apart, there was a long time between supper and breakfast the next day. I also had digestive problems on AIP, when I did not space my meals that way.

3. Perhaps I worded that poorly. I read many times that the high fat content of keto will control your hunger naturally. One of my best friends was on keto, and she said she felt so satiated she would sometimes go too long without eating. I did have days like that, but despite very carefully counting my carbs and eating a lot of fat, I usually struggled with being hungry.

Thanks for the link, it looks interesting. I am now following a diet that is a very good fit for me and I am at a healthy weight.