honey and mycotoxins

Gail H
Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in General Health

I just finished listening to a talk by Dr. Wolfson about mycotoxins. He mentioned that honey can help one detoxify from mold. There are many references on the internet, but here is a brief one: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16533410

I think raw honey is more than just a sweet, so I have chosen to keep a bit of it in my diet. Several family members have had debilitating and even life threatening reactions to mold exposure, so anything that can keep us one step ahead of mold is most welcome.

Comments

  • shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I crave something sweet after dinner. I have started taking a teaspoon of raw honey as a substitute for dessert.

  • Leslie Carl
    Leslie Carl Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

    Thanks for that link! I hadn't heard about honey helping to detoxify from mold. Stands to reason though. Honey really is more than just a sweet. It contains vitamins and minerals, and is antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory. (Guess that's why it works on mold. 😏) It works best if it's raw and unfiltered.

    It can be used;

    1. as a ointment on cuts, scrapes and burns, even on cracked nipples.
    2. to soothe a sore throat or suppress a cough.
    3. to help relieve pollen allergies. (local honey is best for this) Spring honey for spring allergies and fall honey for fall allergies.

    Different types of honey will have different healing strengths, depending on what plants the bees got their pollen from. For example; tualang honey can help with short term memory loss and manuka honey has a long list of benefits including reducing symptoms of cystic fibrosis, improving sleep, fights staph infections like MRSA, and prevents tooth decay and gingivitis.

    Here's a couple of links that will elaborate more on this:


  • Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

    Honey is definitely more than just a sweet. Last year I cleaned out a number of honey frames on an empty stomach and ended up eating an embarrassing amount of honey straight off my fingers. I never reacted to the sugar; my body felt fantastic afterward. No sugar highs or dips afterward.