Plant id database

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,621 admin

I know you intended this thread to be about the website but how nice that the page we are directed to is about shiso.

Love growing shiso! It is so pretty (the purple variety) it deserves a place in flower beds. I have only ever used it fresh (and once made a gorgeous vinegar) but look forward to drying some this year. Wish I had some last week for a bout of food poisoning!

This is a link to Susun Weed's page on Shiso. http://www.wisewomanmentor.com/wise-woman-ezine/6693017

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey

Actually, it was on shiso because I went there looking for info on the plant right before I posted it. I have the seeds but don't have them planted..got them last year but didn't get them planted.

Any tips for the planting, care and harvesting of the plant?

After I posted this here, I did another search, one for Thai Red roselle. I am very familiar with thsi plant becuase I have grown it before. Just looking for additional info as I am in zone 7 and while the small tree is STuNNING!!!, it will not go to caylx's for me for too short growing season, although the OKLA heat allowed it to thrive. The most beautiful tree I have ever seen, except when I look at moringa/I see health lol.

It states that these do well in 3 gal buckets so I'll hope for caylx again using a 5 gal bucket and see what happens.

I also remembered that someone here was trying to id a plant and I thought this would be a very good source for that as well.

Food poisoning?

• Torey

@silvertipgrizz

As to planting tips. Sorry, no advice on growing from seed as I have always purchased the plants already started. I am in zone 4 so a shorter growing season than you. Because they are members of the Lamiaceae family, I would suggest that they would be easy to start from seed. They like lots of water and the leaves may get a bit sunburned if they are out in full, baking-hot sun all the time.

Not at all familiar with Hibiscus species. Far too short a season for that here.

• Torey

@silvertipgrizz

Food poisoning. Yes, I think that is what it was from the symptoms although hubby didn't get it and we were eating the same things. Oregon Grape Root tincture seemed to help quite a bit.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey

The hibiscus is beautiful and is used for tea jelly or jam too I think, from it's calyx,. The leaves are very dark green with deep red stem...stunning, easy to grow and now that I know they do well in a 3 gal contianer I"m going to try to over weather them next winter in hopes of enough time for the production of the calyx. If not, the tree is well worth planting for it's beauty alone.

Thanks for the tips on shiso, and the grape root info.