Marjory’s perspective on the Coronavirus

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited March 2020

@spowell07 It is interesting watching everything fluctuate. That is certainly worldwide.

@Marjory Wildcraft You are welcome. I figured that since she is right in that mess, that it is something to share. Oddly enough, of course I am concerned, but not worried. I can't physically do anything about her situation, so it is a matter of waiting it out. My focus is more on unrelated issues here that are not in any way virus connected.

I find the whole scenario interesting to follow, but see absolutely no need to panic. When people panic, they cease to think. Then you have a real problem.

I do have a question for you, @Marjory Wildcraft Do you have any problems crossing borders with plant material & tinctures? I would think that that could give huge problems with all the border concerns about bug contamination, plant diseases, drug smuggling, etc. Have you planned for if you do have issues anywhere?

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K I kept a copy of the Thrive e-mail just in case their behavior doesn't match their words.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

As anybody who's been in the 'market' knows: its decisions are mostly emotion/feel-driven, like too many other experiences. Thus in order to be a bit more level-headed, here's some things people can do... https://examine.com/topics/coronavirus/ Summary of Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)

• ines871
    edited March 2020

The strength of my previous ^ post's suggestion for helping yourself, - is found in today's disclosures:

The AMA, & CDC, & EPA, & FDA etc. would have you believe that they & nearly every other administration have "everything under control". so how well is that working out ? “I don’t know what went wrong,” a former CDC chief

The Strongest Evidence yet of botching Coronavirus Testing... (in 15+ states, only 2000 people have been tested). The FAILURE to test swiftly & widely for the novel coronavirus has impeded the country’s ability to beat back the spread of the virus. Without testing, public health officials don’t know where the virus is spreading and where to target efforts to contain it.

“I said ‘Who does testing? And the hospital said, ‘No idea,’” “Myself and my colleagues have been working in the trenches in the ER, and we can’t get people tested,” said another doctor. The doctor said another suspected coronavirus patient was a transplant nurse, whose job is to work with immune-deficient patients. “I said, ‘Come on! Please! We need to test her!’” - “They said they would not test me because, if I were wearing the recommended protective equipment, then I wouldn’t have the coronavirus. What kind of 'science-based answer' is that?” the nurse yelled. “I’m a registered nurse and I need to know if I’m positive before going back to care for patients,” the nurse added. “Delaying this test puts the whole community at risk.” Twelve Americans have been killed by the disease, thus far.

In another Cal. county, a young woman has been self-quarantining this week after her doctor told her he suspected her high fever & pneumonia were caused by the novel virus. She has been waiting to hear from the public health department.

“I haven’t been contacted, I have not been tested. I’m not being treated and I’m still exposing people by staying here at home. I live with family — they have jobs, they have schools, I’m sick with something obviously,” she said.

And what does the CDC say, & do ? - "We're still trying to figure out what went wrong".

That's enough statistics for 1 day.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@rainbow Even China with their home quarantine will have all occupants stay within the home space and deliver the food & supplies to just outside the door (re:my sister who doesn't appear to have anything yet & her suspected & watched roommate.) To not quarantine all within the home is foolish, IMO.

You would think that if there was a question, that these same things would be put in place in other countries. 🤔

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I personally do not give this 'illness' a single thought, it is a farce...just do not ever take any vaccine for it. Do u know the swine flu did nothing much, but the Indian (on their little reserves) were forced to take the vaccine ?....some got quite sick! Do u know the Indian is maltreated? He has a tiny, little, itty-bitty piece of land in Canada, here and there (each coast). This land is UNCEDED, no treaty was ever signed! Or the micmac signed a treaty upholding their right on the land, well described! But, not only does the gov't push its way onto the land, this tiny piece (when Canada has more land to itself than almost any country!) but even with a court order upholding the rights, no fishing can be done offshore?? Or a pipeline absolutely must go directly through this tiny, itty-bitty piece, or a lumber company logging, whatever the gov't decides to come up with- e.g. damming the rivers for electricity, north of Quebec, no more land for the Indian there!! U know no European cld defeat the Indian, as they were too fierce, they decided to falsify the treaties, forcing signatures on a fraudulent document (with small type, never explained)...It seems the Indian is a defeated foe, but it is not so! Rome is behind the whole mess, actually, the document of Discovery the basis of the whole gov't business, right out of Rome, used always, even in courts, til today. If only u knew what is in this document, if only u wld understand-we can tell u a whole lot abt what comes up(like a virus) as we r treated, The Indian, in a most obvious fashion, showing the malevolency behind it. We have much in common, as to the Indian the land is sacred, a relative, we speak to our plants!

• ines871

@Laurie - No coronavirus in this home, & too am not $working now for at least two months. Awful for the budget, but so much better for my sanity, whatever of that I still have, lol

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

I just watched the ABC/ 20/20 'live' coronavirus 'update', and all I can say is 'fearmongering'.. I was rather disgusted. But then again, I am not a regular watcher of the show, not part of the dissilusioned masses. As I have posted on other sites, we are not yet seeing 'empty shelves'or 'panic shopping'. I imagine that will change once my state has its first 'confirmed' case. Personally, I am not 'panic shopping' but adding a little bit every day, just like always. Two things I need to add are dog food for the beagle(who can eat people food if need be, getting older and tooth issues, probably wouldn't hurt), and of course, more coffee..I can give up my other vices, if need be, but not my coffee!

• sallyhoward
    sallyhoward Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

A lot of info in this thread. Thank you all

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Yesterday our local paper (Waco Tribune) had an article about the virus. Positive cases have been found in several cities in Texas including Dallas, which is only an hour's drive away. They are working on a plan of action because they think it will only be a short time before there are cases here. My eldest daughter's employer sent people home to work yesterday afternoon to see if they could connect to their system should it be necessary to remain at home. At least this way she will get paid as she had no issues connecting to work. I agree that there is a lot of panic going on which leads to deaths (not from the virus itself). The government has been woefully negligent with the way this has been handled in my opinion (shocker, right?). Common sense would be the best...if only it WAS common lol!

• ines871

Hi

re "The government has been woefully negligent" - TRUE. Agreed, tho most likely not how people think of that. Since the Fed govt. were, & continue complicit ( ie choosing to know, & be directly involved in yet another crime-against-humanity): starting before the turn of the last century around 1890 forward, iow for the past 100+ years, - you don't expect them to change course... anytime soon, do you?

What "government" would turn herbalists, & others choosing to Supplement with yet further non-aging substances into witches & burn them alive, - while those in bed with satan get elevated to 'doctor'-status & are legally allowed to kill in cold blood as many of the populace as they please & want on any given day.

No benevolent Government would EVER stoop so low, & turn so evil, & complicit as the above, Right? - A truly benevolent Government would Always teach, & positively encourage... 330+ million people to GOVERN YOURSELF ---> Eat mostly Plants, & do a kind of exercise that you Love... & can not wait yet another day to have good clean fun with, etc, etc, etc, etc, & Stop the aging process in its tracks, to live a HEALTHY & LONG life. THIS is how a truly benevolent central government behaves, would you Agree ?

Since (with the exception of maybe Trump & his family & friends he trusts) - the other "federal agencies" are also complicit (ie control OVER people), instead of Always teach, & positively encourage... (like @Marjory Wildcraft ) 330+ million people to GOVERN YOURSELF : what can all of us do ?? - Well, I've now said it twice, & for this reason asked for a "General Health" category to be added in this Forum. WHY? - so people will WAKE UP!!, & CHOOSE to live more like the wise... https://blog.insidetracker.com/plan-live-past-100-centenarians in the Blue zones , and TRUTH be told there should be not only 5 "blue zone". Because the entire planet could & should be Healthy & Happy...

Surely you've noticed how Well... Trumps children & grandchildren look, right? - Yes, Healthy & Happy, as is all of everyone's Birthright...

Enjoy a wonderful day & week @seeker.nancy & everyone....

• ines871
    edited March 2020

Hello everyone,

re this Intentionally unleashed Virus unto the world = How many TGN-members ? have figured out the Intended... end. Obviously the REAL question: For how many years have you prepared... for something like this ?

The following was written by a Ph.D Biologist who works with Statistics every day. Btw, the bolded words are his (not mine):

• Doubling of cases every 6 days
    • about 1M US cases by the end of April, next 2M by ~May 5, then 4M by ~May 11, and so on.
    • As the healthcare system begins to saturate under this case load, it will become increasingly hard to detect, track, and contain new transmission chains. In absence of extreme interventions, this likely won’t slow significantly until hitting >>1% of susceptible population.
    • What does a case load of this size mean for healthcare system? We’ll examine only two factors — hospital beds and masks — among many, many other things that will be impacted.
    • The US has about 2.8 hospital beds per 1000 people. With a population of 330M, this is ~1M beds. At any given time, 65% of those beds are already occupied. That leaves about 300k beds available nationwide
    • re Italy’s numbers: that about 10% of cases are serious enough to require hospitalization. (Keep in mind that for many patients, hospitalization lasts for *weeks* — iow, turnover will be *very* slow as beds fill with COVID19 patients).
    • By about May 8th, all open hospital beds in the US will be filled. (This says nothing, of course, about whether these beds are suitable for isolation of patients with a highly infectious virus.)
    • If only 5% of cases require it, we can make it until ~May 14th. 2.5% gets us to May 20th. This, of course, assumes that there is no uptick in demand for beds from *other* (non-COVID19) causes, which seems like a dubious assumption.
    • As healthcare system becomes increasingly burdened, RX-prescription shortages, etc, people w/ chronic conditions that are normally well-managed may find themselves slipping into severe states of medical distress requiring intensive care & hospitalization. But let’s ignore that for now.
    • Alright, that’s beds............ Now masks. Feds say we have a national stockpile of 12M N95 masks and 30M surgical masks (neither of which offer any real protection, but better than nothing).
    • There are about 18M healthcare workers in the US. Let’s assume only 6M HCW are working on any given day. (This is likely an underestimate as most people work most days of the week, but again, I’m playing conservative at every turn.)
    • As COVID19 cases saturate virtually every state and county, which seems likely to happen any day now, it will soon be irresponsible for all HCWs to not wear a mask. These HCWs would burn through N95 stockpile in 2 days if each HCW only got ONE mask per day.
    • One per day would be neither sanitary nor pragmatic, though this is indeed what we saw in Wuhan, with HCWs collapsing on their shift from dehydration because they were trying to avoid changing their PPE suits as they cannot be reused.
    • How quickly could we ramp up production of new masks? practically nil. The vast majority are manufactured overseas, almost all in China. Even when manufactured here in US, the raw materials are predominantly from overseas... again, predominantly from China.
    • Keep in mind that all countries globally will be going through the exact same crises and shortages simultaneously. We can’t force trade in our favor.
    • Now consider how these 2 factors – bed & mask shortages – compound each other’s severity: Full hospitals + few masks + HCWs running around between beds without proper PPE = very bad mix.
    • HCWs are already getting infected even w/ access to full PPE. In the face of PPE limitations this severe, it’s only a matter of time: HCWs will start dropping from the workforce for weeks at a time, leading to a shortage of HCWs that then further compounds both issues above.
    • We could go on and on about thousands of factors, as just 1- # of ventilators, or even simple things like saline drip bags. You see where this is going.
    • Importantly, I cannot stress this enough: even if I’m wrong – even VERY wrong – re % of severe cases or current case #, it only changes the timeline by days or weeks. This is how exponential growth in an immunologically naïve population works.
    • Undeserved panic does no one any good. But neither does ill-informed complacency. It’s wrong to assuage the public by saying “only 3% will die.” People aren’t adequately grasping the national & global systemic burden wrought by this swift-moving of a disease.
    • I’ve been on high alarm about this disease since ~Jan 19 after reading clinical indicators in the first papers emerging from Wuhan.
    • Nothing in the last 6 weeks has dampened my alarm in the slightest. To the contrary, we’re seeing abject refusal of many countries to adequately respond or prepare.
    • Even if your personal risk of death is very, very low, don’t mock decisions like canceling events or closing workplaces as undue “panic”.
    • These measures are the bare minimum we should be doing to try to shift the peak – to slow the rise in cases so that healthcare systems are less overwhelmed. Each day that we can delay an extra case is a big win for the HC system.
    • And yes, you really should prepare to buckle down for a bit. All services and supply chains will be impacted. Why risk the stress of being ill-prepared?
    • Worst case, I’m massively wrong and you now have a huge bag of rice and black beans to burn through over the next few months and enough Robitussin to trip out.
    • One more thought:
    • As many as 20%-70% of world will be infected within the next year, multiple respected epidemiologists estimate. If you use 6-day doubling rate I mentioned above, we land at ~2-6 billion infected by July of this year. Obviously I think the doubling time will start to slow once a sizeable fraction of the population has been infected, simply because of herd immunity and a smaller susceptible population.
    • Let’s assume conservatively 2,000 current cases in the US today, March 6th. But take the scenarios above (full beds, no PPE, etc, at just 1% of the US population infected) and stretch them out over just a couple extra months.
    • That timeline roughly fits with consensus end-game numbers from these highly esteemed epidemiologists. Again, we’re talking about discrepancies of mere days or weeks one direction or another, but not disagreements in the overall magnitude of the challenge. ((from another Epidemiological site: If 60% of the world’s population is ultimately infected, as suggested by Gabriel Leung, chair of public health medicine at Hong Kong University, a 1% fatality rate would kill almost 50 million people — similar to the 1918 Spanish flu. If that falls to 0.1%, it could still be roughly 10 times more fatal than the 2009 H1N1 influenza outbreak, which killed several hundred thousand in its first year.)) Globally about 3.4% of COVID-19 people have died.
    • This is not some hypothetical, fear-mongering, worst-case scenario. This is reality. Standard disclaimers apply: I’m a PhD biologist but *not* an epidemiologist. Yadda yadda. Stay safe out there. /end

Did you make it this far?

Again, go back to the beginning of this post: Obviously the REAL question: For how many years have you prepared... for something like this ?

• ines871

Some good news, even if just status-quo for such of us on S.S.: "The U.S. Postal Service has activated its pandemic flu preparedness plan, a spokesman said, & has local continuity plans across the country to ensure mail delivery will continue or resume quickly in areas affected by an outbreak. There is no evidence that Covid-19 may be transmitted via mail, Surgeon General Jerome Adams said last week.

The Treasury Department will be able to continue sending checks to Social Security beneficiaries, veterans and federal retirees, as it does at times when lapses in federal funding force many government operations to shut down."

Next thing is getting rid of the MC-theft $145/m, that can be spend wisely+efficaciously on Tests, foods, & supplements...

• LaurieLovesLearning

Well...Italy has a widespread quarantine now. In Venice, they have complained about too many tourists wrecking their space. I wonder if that complaint will change shortly due to lack of such high tourist revenue.

• Max Riben
    Max Riben Posts: 2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I think they are using the Coronavirus as a 'cover-up' for the effects that are to follow 5G.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Here is a link to a protocol for coronavirus developed by Stephen Harrod Buhner, who is the author of "Herbal Antivirals" and "Herbal Antibiotics". He's a very smart guy:

https://www.stephenharrodbuhner.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/coronavirus.txt.pdf

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

Working in a hospital I practice what I do on the daily... hand washing for at least 15 seconds, I make my own hand sanitizer... recipe here: https://wellnessmama.com/281/homemade-hand-sanitizer/ I usually wash my hands then use the sanitizer to give extra protection

Also tricks to not touch door handles:

Use paper towel and throw away after you walk out

Use your sleeves or elbow to push door handles down instead of your hands

Sneaky method ...if you’re in a multi stall public restroom just wait for someone else to open the door and sneak out right behind them 🤣

Take your fire cider

Take your elderberry

Get sleep 💤

Stay home if you’re sick

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

@Melissa Swartz great article - he really breaks it all down into specifics, which is nice to see. Thanks!

• norabelehcim
    norabelehcim Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

If currency per se falls by the wayside, one potential carrier of contagion may be removed, except perhaps as artifact or collectible.

To sacrifice an entire province for a virus which has already demonstrated host-to-host mutations is probably not effective. Travelers to the western provinces of China.have contracted various infection/illnesses there. People exploring caves and crevasses unpopulated for centuries contract assorted illness once thought extinct--corona virus, in its assorted iterations, may be no different.

Learning about and attention to our individual human biomes and vir-omes, proper oral, internal and skin care, in general and in specific, may actually greatly advance our current concepts of health care and longevity. Big pharma and other profit-interests may not accede, or assist with this at all-- it is good herbalists, foragers, oil/tincture/essence distillers/formulates, slow food, and other holistic supporters don't count on mainstream advertising, packaging/marketing, or support, I suppose.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I, fully, agree with you. Sadly, we will never know all the behind the scenes information. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

The virus is scary but we need to do things to keep our minds on other things. Don't get stressed out and eat junk food for sure since that will lower your immunity. Go outside, plant something, work in the garden, etc. Log on to the Grow Network and read and comment on the topics here to help get your mind on other things.

• ines871
    edited March 2020

@pamelamackenzie - A virus is Not scary when we Know how to keep our Immune system at the Ready... which I think hopefully at least Half of TGN does know how to do, Good, Good.

Here's more info: First described in detail in the 1960s, the coronavirus gets its name from a distinctive corona or 'crown' of sugary-proteins that projects from the envelope surrounding the particle. Encoding the virus's make-up is the longest genome of any RNA-based virus – a single strand of nucleic acid roughly 26,000 to 32,000 bases long. 

There are 4 known genuses in the family, named Alphacoronavirus, Betacoronavirus, Gammacoronavirus, & Deltacoronavirus. The first two only infect mammals, including bats, pigs, cats, and humans. Gammacoronavirus mostly infects birds such as poultry, while Deltacoronavirus can infect both birds and mammals.

And apparently we not dealing with only 1 virus currently.. Already Mutated ? to 2 versions making the global rounds. - All the more reason to Empower... our Individual immune system to stay READY... we need to get our mind more Focused on this.

• ines871

Addendum: I have posted before this image

of the Corona-virus as seen under a scanning electron microscope, & here you can see more: https://www.sciencealert.com/this-is-what-the-covid-19-virus-looks-like-under-electron-microscopes

Viruses in the coronavirus family only have small differences in their genome, with only five nucleotide differences between three of the viruses.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K it’s really easy and smells great... also good for your skin and doesn’t have any toxic crap or hormone disrupters... I keep in my scrub pocket and use it all day at work😁

• Very interesting. A lot of food for thought. Thanks for this.

• davidking530
    davidking530 Posts: 14 ✭✭✭

This virus is much worse than what most people realie

• 2017pams@gmail.com
    2017pams@gmail.com Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

My version of prepping- starting up 29 garden boxes, planting seeds for transplant- 6 trays, freezer full of fruit, dried beans, peas and rice, Vinegar and oil for dressing, fresh foods for now, plant 4 more fruit trees, pantry of basic stuff, more fridge basics like nuts, small freezer has fish, lots of TP, need to figure out more Antivirals. Have water purifier. Now get to work on the grown kids being ready. So did same for youngest son as lives farther away. Older son and wife figure they will come here if they need to. Can't get minimalists to follow along yet. But they are all gardening more all the time... Youngest had it on facebook before we were finished for the day. Now that is progress!

• Wayne Johnson
    Wayne Johnson Posts: 14

Stop worrying about catching the coronavirus. If it's in your area, you will probably get exposed no matter what. Instead, you should stock up on multiple types of herbal teas. Do this also--- Google anti-viral herbs, and see what you get.... Many tea mixes contain several herbs with anti-viral compounds and properties. This efficacy is usually not officially documented by modern scientific studies, but by folk lore experience for thousands of years. I prefer the opinions of actual users rather than scientists who are inherently dependent on statistics and endless research studies, most of which is funded by those with financial motives. Call me cynical if you want, but it took 50 years and millions of dollars to prove that cigarettes were bad for your health! The health industry is terribly corrupt, and most people at the top have compromised their character for job security and fat paychecks.

So, start drinking gallons of yummy herbal tea--with raw honey--- and you will probably never get another virus, and if you do, it will be a mild infection that lasts only a few days. That's my 2 cents...... And oh, you can grow anti-viral herbs too! What a wonderful idea!!

• Grammyprepper
    Grammyprepper Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Well, my state has it's first 'confirmed' cases, 3 of them, several hours away from my location. While I haven't seen much 'panic' shopping to date, I expect that will change. Ohio State University has 'changed' all classes from 'in-person' to 'virtual'. The 'not if but when' has finally hit home. I am 'trying' not to 'freak out'. I have slowly been adding to our stores, like always, did a freezer and pantry inventory update. The struggle is real, we are coming off a period of unemployment, so money is short. So I have to balance what I spend money on. While we are prepared, we are never prepared enough, LOL.

This discussion has been closed.