Retired Couple Living Off-Grid Shares Their 8-Year Experience

ines871
ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insightful, & Very good info...

Anyone Off-grid now please add ... for example about how much does each equipment cost ? etc.

Comments

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@rainbow I am not off-grid Susana Lein, of Salamander Springs Farm (she was in the documentary, Inhabit), is off-grid and she has no where near the equipment they have. To learn more about her farm, you can check out her Web site at https://salamandersprings.wixsite.com/farm.

• ines871

@Obiora E Thanks. Susana is an obvious success https://salamandersprings.wixsite.com/farm/about

Wondering if she had any help ? creating all her successful projects...

• Obiora E

@rainbow Yes Susana has had help through hosting workshops to allow people in the community to learn while helping with projects on her farm. She also spent 20 years doing construction in Central and South America, and an envisioned goal. She is definitely an inspiring and very knowledgeable person on a variety of topics.

A lot of the building materials on her property have come from salvaged materials. I think too often people think that everything they use has to be brand new.

• ines871

@Obiora E - re "Everything on property has to be brand new". Never have I thought that. 95+% of what I have obtained in 1/2 + century: either I made it, or salvaged, or from H4H, or Thrift stores, or presents, or donations, or I did without. - One reason, of several, why I would not have anyone from internet come visit here. They would go "how many projects do you have going here?", lol

That said, the further remote people live: Building-Codes are either practically non-existent, or lenient, or not enforced. So Susana obviously built her house & other structures pretty much how she wanted it all.

Hence this cheap house in the city here: when the roof leaked into a mere 1/3 of its life, I am now paying for a new one, whether I want to, or not. The city/county could care less whether I eat, or not. All they care about is how much $ goes into their own personal bank acct.

So you can't compare most cities (of whatever size) with rural properties.

• Obiora E

@rainbow Yes I agree. I never said that you felt that way that everything has to be brand new but many people who I have talked to over the years do feel this way and many people who visit her farm are surprised to see her reuse of salvaged materials.

• EarlKelly
    EarlKelly Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

Yes, enjoyed watching them work and build their homestead. Very interesting talk they had to. Hope for the rest of us. Thanks

• ines871

@EarlKelly Glad you feel Inspired by them. - I looked at our homestead today, & Whew! - Am trying to muster the courage to DO it for our 18th. year. So much work, for just little me... still working outside the home to also pay the bills, after 5 major disasters. - I am glad when others can make good use of yet other's exemplary 🤗 Examples.

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I just love seeing such bright souls, so engaging, resourceful...not to say, healthy! Nature is sooo inviting, makes me want to find some trees nearby or a bird , the little bit I can do for now, but I can plan, too, thanks for the info!