Onions: Grow Harvest & Preserve

Comments

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

re "Onyums" ? - did you mean to type Onions ?

• pamelamackenzie
    pamelamackenzie Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

I grow onions most years. Some people in my area say they are hard to grow but I put them in raised beds and I think they loose raised bed mix in there helps them out. I also like the multiplying onions that just keep going and going.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbow No, I meant "onions, yum...!!!"

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz I usually grow onions from seed. I prefer the red or purple onions over the yellow or white. I think they have more flavor and also offer other nutrients too. Eat from the rainbow.

• silvertipgrizz

@Obiora E

Ditto. I actually started carmalizing them with sweet taters in a sauce pan on the stove. I add them last and let them sweat. That's all it takes to take the HEAT out of them and makes the sweet taters even better. Of course I only put a very small amount of oil, and lots of butter and slow cook.

This year I will try to grow 3 kinds of red onions and I am hopeful and anxious as I really do love red onions, and of course the valdalia too.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I used to have Walking Onions. They are a perennial crop that we found easy to raise. Unfortunately I did not take starts when we moved so I am now looking for a good source. Last year we did raise some red onions that were small but tasty.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

My ex husband used to complain that I used too much onion when I cooked.

I love them! Like @Obiora E , I like the red ones best. I've always thought that I generally stay pretty healthy because I eat a lot of them.

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

i usually grow my own onions now i really like the white variety cooked the red raw, and just found way to make onion cough syrup onions covered with honey. i strained the onions out of the honey and put them in a separate jar now i have onion candy!

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

@silvertipgrizz Thanks! I had forgotten about this one, last time I was there they were not shipping. Their prices are pretty good too.

• silvertipgrizz

@VickiP I'm going to get the 'flat rate' box of smaller clumped ones for 7 ish and flat rate of 6 ish.

Note on their front page they have a pix of a flower for you to guess and if correct you win some free walkers!

You might also check at Hoss Tools.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle That ex of yours didn't have good sense in multiple areas, did he?

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

I like planting green onions, red and yellow ones. I love adding the green parts into soups and raw consumption too. When I was little, I’d reach over the fence in my mom’s garden reaching only the greens, thus I love them. Yet since getting older, I can eat onions no later than 2:00pm, and cooked ones are better for digestion.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle Yes that makes sense! Onions are a good source of Vitamin C and have other nutrients in them too.