Fermented Foods question

Desiree
Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Ferments

I am trying to introduce fermented foods for the probiotics to my family, but I seem to be getting a ton of push back regarding the "sour" taste. Does any have any thoughts, opinions or recommendations of how I can get probiotics in my families diet? Are there any less sour ferments?

Comments

• DebiB
    DebiB Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Hmmmmm.....they have a good point that a lot of fermented foods have a sour taste to them. I’ve got a couple of ideas you could try. One is try making your own kombucha and don’t let it ferment for more than a week so it’s still sweet not vinegary yet. Another is to look at making something called “ginger bug”, which can be used for making natural sodas. I’ve made it a few times and found it to be quite sweet. Here’s a link to the recipe I used https://wellnessmama.com/8942/ginger-bug/

I hope it helps.

Debi

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@desireet02 If you are looking to introduce lacto fermented veggies, ginger carrots are a pretty easy sell. This looks like a straightforward recipe. https://www.stephgaudreau.com/how-to-make-fermented-ginger-carrots/

Try to make smaller batches when you're first starting out and finish them off before they get away from you sourness-wise.

Instead of serving a dish of plain sauerkraut, try incorporating some into another dish. My kids were pretty good with a salad made of sauerkraut, chopped apple and toasted walnuts.

Hope this helps a bit. I've been told that someday out kids will thank us. 😃

• @desireet02 fermented foods are always a good idea. ;-)

Maybe start with homemade real Joghurt, than go to Kefir which is a bit more sour.

As @DebiB said, not that long fermented kombucha is a good next step.

As for lactofermented vegetable I would start with Sauerkraut. Nothing beats freah homemade Sauerkraut. If it is still to sour you can rinse it a bit and it will be more mild.

Fermented cucumbers is a great way too as you can slip them in the menu for instance in burger or hot dog without much notice by the rest of the family.

• csinclair461
    csinclair461 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

It depends on the ages and mindset of the family members with this, but one video on starting up on fermented foods talked about doing a 3-4 day challenge- that the first couple of days, you just have a bite, and may not like it, but if you keep it up, by the 3rd or 4th day you will start to like it, and will also have a reduced craving for sugar. For me, I liked sauerkraut right away, and was surprised by that. Its probably because I was drinking kombucha and water kefir (which. Is even easier on tastebuds than kombucha). I like sauerkraut with coconut mayonnaise and either chicken/tuna. Its a combo I never dreamed of liking but once i tried it, I craved it like crazy. The coconut mayo is a bit sweet. Recipe for anyone interested: 1/2 c coconut oil, 1/2 c olive oil, 1 egg, 1 T apple cider vinegar. Blend egg/vinegar in blender, slowly drizzle the oils in with blender on low.

• Desiree

Thanks for some great ideas and recipes everyone. I will be looking into a few of them and try the "challenge".

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@desireet02 You may also try kimchi. It's not sour, is spicy and tangy, and pretty flavorful. You can also try Miso soup, it kind of tastes like Pineapple.

I fermented raw garlic last year and use that when I use garlic. I also fermented carrots and some other vegetables too. Also you can make pickles and a whole host of other things too. One of my go to inspirations is Sandor Katz's book, "Wild Fermentation."

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

@desireet02 It might just take a while to grow on them. I make my own kombucha and for a while I was the only one drinking it. Then my youngest daughter decided she liked it. My older daughter came around next and it was almost 2 years before my husband would even try one. I was making gallon jars of it for his parents but he refused to even try it. Then finally he came around and now loves it.

Also, you might want to try fermenting different veggies. Everyone in my family likes different ones - my husband loves okra, my kids both like cauliflower but only one like kimchi and the other carrots. I tried making sauerkraut but it didn't go over as well as the others.

• csinclair461
    csinclair461 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

Here is an awesome sounding probiotic recipe to try out- I thought of your family when I saw it. I want to try it myself! 3 day ferment! I may see if the starter packets could be worked around and still have good results. https://www.fermentedfoodlab.com/spiced-probiotic-apples/

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

Soaking raw garlic in honey makes an amazing ferment. The longer it sits the better it gets. I found a jar in my cupboard recently that is well over a year old. Wonderful but it can be eaten anytime.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

A fermented drink, that a young person would really like is water kefir. It's fizzy and can be flavoured with juice. Really easy to make too.

• Desiree

@csinclair461 Thank you for the link! I will check it out!

• Desiree

@soeasytocraft I did ferment pomegranates and cranberries in honey that were a hit over french toast and pancakes.

• Dennis Bries
    Dennis Bries Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

Kombucha, yogurt and sourdough, lactofermented cabbage, beans and other veggies -- probably i that order. All work at room temperatures and the yogurt is best with unpasturized milk [if it is legal in your state!] I have gto use heavy whipping cream and it has taken several batches and a bit of coaxing to get and keep the yogurty ferment going. The same was for getting the sourdough culture growing == I use a pint jar and put replacement flour in as I take some out for morning pancakes. Really haven't tried lacto fermented veggies using store purchased produce -- Been raising my own and making some regularly during the growing season.

• Owl
    Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Fermented cream by itself is a wonderful taste that I didn’t have a problem selling the family when served over fruit. My grown son and husband aren’t fond of the ferments so I just keep going and sneaking them in.

• RachelWrites
    RachelWrites Posts: 20 ✭✭✭

I think it’s an acquired taste, so just keep trying. I sometimes add a small spoon of sauerkraut or kimchi to beef soups just before serving. Use it like a condiment and just keep offering small doses.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

Kefir is a good thing to start with and the second ferment can be done with fruit. You can also strain the whey out and make kefir cheese tastes like cream cheese. I've even added fruit to it and dipped it in chocolate for a sweet treat.

Try different flavors of krauts such as orange or lemon. One of my favorites is Buffalo Kraut which has the hot sauce used for Buffalo Wings in it.

Kombucha, second fermented with pineapple juice makes a sweeter and fizzy drink.

I just made a batch of fermented sweet corn this morning. In a week or so it will be ready to eat from the jar or put on the grill for a few minutes to bring out some of the sugars in the corn.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

@Desiree If your family likes pickles you can make your own that are truly a fermented snack. I use a salt water brine and over fermented kombucha (thanks to @judsoncarroll4 recommendation when I had a mold issue trying to make pickles) which help to keep mold issues down and my son said they're the best pickles he has EVER had! Some people who don't necessarily like sour stuff still like pickles, and you can add hot peppers and make them spicy pickles if that appeals to them! And kefir is wonderful but quite a commitment!! We've made spreadable cheese with kefir and it was the best stuff!