Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Time to make your bed! — The Grow Network Community
It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop Choose seeds wisely.

-Confucius

Time to make your bed!

blevinandwombablevinandwomba Central PaPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭

Literally! So, I am wondering, who has made their own mattress or other form of bed? It's been on my long list of things to try for several years, due to concerns about flame retardents and other nasties in commercial mattresses. You can buy wool mattresses that are naturally flame retardent, but they are pretty pricey- and I'm cheap. Wool futons are more reasonable, but still a little steep for cheapskate me.

There are a lot of alternative stuffings for mattresses- wool, cotton, straw, buckwheat, millet hulls- those are what come to mind offhand.

Every time I get sick and spend extra time in bed, I'm reminded how old my mattress is. I have a large bag of buckwheat hulls, so I am thinking of trying this soon. I saved instructions of few years ago for a daybed that consisted of several pillows connected by a sleeping bag type case- I hope to try this soon.

Comments

• toreytorey Posts: 1,619 admin

I haven't made mattresses but many years ago I tried pillows out of Cattail seed achenes (fluff). They worked out fine but what a lot of picking and stuffing.

• csinclair461csinclair461 Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

we tried a buckwheat hull bed. It was too firm for me. The pillow is great. I do like the buckwheat topper. My grandma made a feather bed from all the fowl she had. I would love that- it was such a comfy bed, all us cousins wanted to sleep in it.

• Mary Linda BittleMary Linda Bittle Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭✭

It never occurred to me to try to make a bed! I think I might start with a topper, though, to try it out.

I remember how comfortable the old feather bed we used in winter was. Or at least that's how I remember it.

Not at all familiar with buckwheat hulls in a mattress. Do they get hot in warm weather?

• dottile46dottile46 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

As a kid I read as many cowboy and Indian books as I could find. I tried to make arrows, tomahawks, arrowheads, and a bed. I tried to gather enough dry grass the day after Dad mowed the yard. Either he mowed too soon or our yard was too small because the best I could ever do was a little ole pillow. Yet it smelled heavenly when I put my head on it. I tried to imagine how good it must feel to have enough for a bed. Alas, I haven't tried it since.

@blevinandwomba have you checked the Foxfire books? I think there is something in one of them about this.

• blevinandwombablevinandwomba Central PaPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭

@dottile46 Thanks for the idea. I just checked. It does talk about straw and feather mattresses, with more detailed information on how to make a rope bed.

• dottile46dottile46 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba we visited the Foxfire Museum and Heritage Center a few years back. Actually saw a rope bed, the very first I had ever laid eyes on. Within a couple of years my grandmother died. When we were going through her things I found a rope bed in her attic. The frame was round metal but the bottom was rope. On it was a feather tick and a feather comforter. I'm sure Grandma didn't call it a comforter but she may have. I do have the tick and 2 comforters.