Great Aussie icon Koala now critically endangered!

Who can believe this news! After the horrific bushfire season we've just experienced, Koala habitat and the Koalas themselves are in dire straits. I'm sure many of you have seen the harrowing news scenes where people have rescued burnt Koalas from the bush. Koala hospitals are over flowing with burnt, starving and injured Koalas. I live in NSW, just west of Coffs Harbour and there is a big push have a designated National Park, called the Great Koala National Park. It will encompass 315,000 hectares all up. At the moment we are lobbying the state government to add 175,000 ha of forestry to the already 140,000 ha of existing national parks, so it all links up to form the first National Park for endangered species, not only Koalas but quolls, gliders, platypus, glossy black cockatoos and others. How awesome would that be, suring up a safe and sustainable environment but imagine the eco- tourism possibilities! Nature based tourism is worth $20 million a year to New South Wales(NSW) Imagine bushwalking/hiking, mountain biking, horse riding in such a park. Unfortunately our state govt doesn't see it that way yet and has just introduced laws for more intensive harvesting in our forests, meaning basically clear felling.

44% of all Koala hubs in NSW are located in the proposed park! I truly hope that in the near future I can report back and inform you that the Great Koala National Park is indeed a reality.

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

It always feels so much worse when an affected animal has such limited food sources. Is there enough eucalyptus left to sustain a healthy population of koalas?

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beyond praying... for the fires to Stop, we need to also include your government to Value its own Natural life including koalas... Will there be enough Food sources to sustain them ?

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

This bushfire season, over 12 million hectares have burnt in Australia. In my state NSW, over 5 million hectares! Obviously not all those hectares were Koala habitat and not all eucalyptus burnt were the species that Koalas consume. So the ideal habitat is getting harder to find. That's why it's so important that the GKNP gets the go ahead. It houses the right species of eucalypt and would not be difficult to put in place. By the way, most fires are now out, we've had a huge rain event on the east coast. On my property alone we've received 24 inches in the last week, couldn't get a match to light if you tried. We are now experiencing flooding! A land of extremes! We certainly need some balance in this climate debarcle.

• ines871

@jodienancarrow - Yes, after mighty prayers we heard that some Australian areas were relieved with enough Rain to extinguish fires, but not 24 inches in a week. Good Heavens ! - Are you saying we now need to pray for the rain to Stop? 🙂

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@rainbow we ended up with 31 inches in 10 days, quack quack. Yes parts of the country are flooding. In my area, a flash flood came through on Tuesday night and washed away, cattle, horses, farm equipment, fences, roads etc. Frustrating, sad but the community pulls together. I've just been invited to sit on a Bushfire recovery steering committee and just yesterday met with our state govt member to see who needed help re floods! Talk about extremes.

• ines871

@jodienancarrow Sorry to hear of double tragedy. I don't know what to say, except 1. will continue praying, & 2. Be ever so grateful with our much less severe troubles. Please let us know what happens next, & Thank you for helping... your community.