A question regarding Rosemary eo

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Making Herbal Medicine

I want to get some rosemary essential oil and there are options, so not being as schooled as I want to be, I am not sure which one to get. Help is in order here:

Which one and what is the difference?

All help is greatly appreciated:

Rosemary:

officinalis,

cineole: Tunisia vs Hungary

verbenone: France

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I almost always go with officinalis when I need to make this choice. Those are the herbs that historically have been used in medicine. The others are likely quite good, too.

• silvertipgrizz

@Mary Linda Bittle Thank you for clarifying and for the link.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,632 admin

@silvertipgrizz I think it might depend on what you are using the different oils for. I'm not an aromatherapist but I was doing research on a project about a case of early dementia and Rosemary cineole was the recommended choice but no idea if it was Tunisia or Hungary. Rosemary officinalis is the species generally used for culinary or herbal medicine purposes but it might have different terpenes than the others and that makes a difference to the effects each species will have.

• silvertipgrizz

@torey

Thank you for your response.

It is among other things a cardiotonic and I am 66...do the math lol... Just want to keep ye ole ticker a tickin.

• Torey

@seeker.nancy Nice to see an aromatherapist post on the subject of EOs. They are powerful products and need expert advice before use.

• They can do wonders at times as they are from plants. But what people forget or do not know is their extreme concentration. Also just because you use the plant in a certain way does not always mean you use the essential oil the same way. We all need to educate ourselves and from more than one source. I cleared out a bunch of my books a while back because I'm a book hoarder (my parents loved to read as well, lol). That said, I told my kids that there were some books I was keeping for reference on several subjects regardless of how many they thought I should donate. My son-in-law thinks I'm crazy but then he doesn't get my affinity/hoarding of rocks, either. 🤣🤣🤣Thanks @torey !

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seeker.nancy I too have too many books and rocks...and beads....

• @shllnzl yes, beads also as well as garden stuff all over the house 😆

• silvertipgrizz

Hoarding? me???

🤣

Books, books, oh wait, more books... fabric, plants...

@seeker.nancy thanks for your source listing.

• @silvertipgrizz you are welcome, I'm trying to get better at remembering that but when I'm quoting directly from a book it's easier lol. Oh yeah...fabric, quilting, more fun stuff. I think I need about 20 lifetimes just to do the stuff I'm trying to cram into this one 🤣

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seeker.nancy I think I need to live to be 150 years old to finish all my projects and crafts.

• Torey

@seeker.nancy I don't think book collectors should be called hoarders. We are the "Preservers of Knowledge". :)

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

Love this! My daughter has an entire library of books! And wonders if she's considered a hoarder. I am a hoarder of herb and gardening books. Proud of it! Now my mind wonders to my quilting and cake decorating book. I thin she learned from a master! Lover of books that is! lol

• 7207chablis
    7207chablis Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

Don’t forget to buy the EO organic!

This Week's Leaders