Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Scoby overpopulation — The Grow Network Community
It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop Choose seeds wisely.

-Confucius

Scoby overpopulation

pseaboltpseabolt North Carolina Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

I haven been making my own kombucha for long, I was gifted a scoby at the end of October, so four months or so? I have a jar that I keep as a scoby hotel but what no one told me was that the scoby hotel grows its own scoby! So every time I make a new batch and add a scoby to the hotel, it then turns around and grows another one. So for each new batch I get two extra scobies. Wow. What the heck do all you other booch lovers do with them?! I’ve tried to give them away and boy do I get the side eye for that! My friends and family are not fans. 😂 I’ve heard people say feed then to chickens. Awesome! Oh, but I don’t have chickens. It feels sinfully wasteful to consider throwing them away, so I need ideas from you wonderful friends. What can I do with my prolific little friends?

Comments

• Mary Linda BittleMary Linda Bittle Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this article, but I gotta say I'm not too eager to try most of these. https://www.culturedfoodlife.com/20-smart-ways-to-use-your-kombucha-scobys/

• kbmbillups1kbmbillups1 Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭

Ha ha! I have way too many scobies in my fridge! I don't want to throw them away and I can't find anyone who will take any. So, I have a scoby hotel and then I have a couple zip lock bags full in the fridge. My husband is always asking when I'm going to get rid of them. I've dehydrated more of them than I can count. I tried putting them in my compost but they draw a huge number of ants so I dehydrate them now and crush them up so I can give them to my plants. There is a chapter in The Big Book of Kombucha of ideas for scobies when you have extra. I haven't tried any of them yet.

• CaraCara Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

You can give them away or sell them for a nominal fee on CraigsList!

• tomandcaratomandcara Colorado front range- Denver MetroPosts: 591 ✭✭✭

@pseabolt There is also something I didn't see in the 20 ideas link @Mary Linda Bittle posted. That is Scoby Jerky. You can season it however you want. The simplest :jerky" is just to dry it like @kbmbillups1 does, but instead of putting it in the garden, you eat it. If you are going to try it, I think it is easiest to cut with kitchen shears while the scoby is still fresh.

• Mary Linda BittleMary Linda Bittle Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pseabolt let us know how you like it.

• kbmbillups1kbmbillups1 Posts: 361 ✭✭✭✭

@pseabolt Yes let me know if you like it. We tried it and weren't a fan. I have had baby scobys form in my kombucha bottles and accidently drank one. It just kind of went down my throat like when you eat a raw oyster. 😀I'd never drink one on purpose though!