Selling used books and DVDs Online

Linda Bittle
Linda Bittle Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I have to move soon, I've been sorting stuff, and filling boxes to take to the local thrift store and the library.

Today I made almost 40.00 by using these 2 sites to sell some of my books and DVDs. Shipping lables are free to print on both sites. Most of my treasures were only a few cents, but I found some real surprises. I had 3 books that were worth 2-5 dollars! And the DVD of Rabbit Fever - about rabbit shows, of all things - was worth 5.00!

I easily set up accounts with both, and both can pay by check, PayPal, or direct deposit (Not my choice). I'll update when I get paid to let you know how it worked.

For books : https://www.sellbackyourbook.com

For DVDs and CDs, Games, and tech stuff : https://www.decluttr.com

Comments

• I have used Amazon trade in in the past. I used some of the sell back text book sites when in college from 2014-2016 I think sell back was one of them. I've been thinking about trying declutter.com thanks for the reminder. Spring is coming and my goal was to get the decluttering done before spring. I better hop to it.

• Linda Bittle

@Marjory Wildcraft here's the trailer for the movie Rabbit Fever. I didn't find any helpful info in it at all. It's about the people who breed and show rabbits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnXWOcuPcH0

If I find pertinent books or dvds that I don't want to keep, I will list them on the Marketplace category first! But I'm probably keeping most of those😁

I have another 8.00 coming in old cds, and more to scan.

• Linda Bittle

@wabbit1964, and others - if you do use declutter.com you can enter the name Linda Bittle in the 'who reffered you box', and we both get 5.00.

• pseabolt
    pseabolt Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

I got excited, I saw “selling used books” and got ready to shop! But thanks for the information on the sites. 😆

• @Mary Linda Bittle I will definitely use your name if I sign up.

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

In Australia I use Gumtree. They are free to post and there are no costs for when you sell an item unlike ebay.

Putting up a sign at a local notice board can be helpful if you have a fairly busy area, but for Australia Gumtree is the best bet so far for almost anything.

Good Topic. We all need to declutter at times and as they say 'one mans trash is another mans treasure'.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,482 admin

Just one word of caution, some books are really valuable! I entered the ISBNs of just two paperbacks I'm currently reading - one on gardening and pond building, the other on Dixieland jazz... both valuable to me, but the site listed said they were worth "$0". I paid $6-7 bucks each in ebay, and would gladly have paid a little more. But, on the flip side, I've bought books off of ebay for under $10 (that is usually my limit) that are worth a whole lot more. I have nearly the entire George L. Herter collection, of around 20 books... worth around $500 as a set...several collectible hunting and fishing books (Gene Hill, Ed Zern, Milford Stanley Poltroon), cookbooks from pre-1940, gardening books.. all worth at lest 4-5 times what I paid for them and one rare English translation of a French Charcuterie book worth around $750... I I paid $11.75 for it!!!!!!!! So, be careful before you sell a good book for pennies.....

• Linda Bittle

@judsoncarroll4 One of my treasures is a copy of The Bull Cookbook. I paid 2.00 for it at an estate sale. I paid a little more on eBay for The Professional Guide's Manual. I recall my dad having those, and wanted copies for that reason. The Herter's catalog was so much fun to look at! I'm still looking for George the Housewife. I figure I'll stumble on it one day.

I'm only sending out books that I planned to donate, as I have invested quite a lot in my library, too. I bet we share some volumes!

• judsoncarroll4
    edited February 2020

George Leonard Herter is my hero! Just off the top of my head, I have the 3 volumes of Bull Cook, George the Housewife, Professional GUide's Manual, How to Get Out OF the Rat Race and Live on $10 a month, How TO Make the Finest Wines and Beers in old Jugs and Bottles for 50 Cents a gallon, THe SOurdough break book, Professional FLy Tying, Secrets of PRofessional Anglers, Professional Taxedermy Manual... and a few others. Oh... and of course, How To Live With A Bitch... not collection written by the least politically correct man ever lived would be complete without that one! I think I lack 3-5 titles, but he was constantly publishing new books and variations of previous books.

• judsoncarroll4

PS. I'm pretty sure that George L. Herter was the inspiration for "Outdoor Man" in the show "Last Man Standing".

• 7207chablis
    7207chablis Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

I personally sell clothes from my children online. I am happy to get some money back but also the impact on the environment is good! The things have a second life and that’s good.

• Linda Bittle

Update on the Decluttr.com site;

Yes, they do pay!

It was February 22 when I got 3 boxes ready to send out and printed the pre-paid UPS labels. Then I hurt my thumb/wrist, so I did not get those boxes to the UPS pick up site until the afternoon of the 25th. They did not get on the truck until the 26th, and then shipped from Idaho to Georgia.

I got emailed messages from Decluttr (that's the correct spelling - no "e") that 2 of the 3 were expected to be received on Monday.

Yesterday (Tuesday), I got emailed that all three boxes had arrived. (One message per box, or shipping label).

Today (Wednesday) I got 3 messages from PayPal that money had been deposited in my account, and 3 messages from Decluttr that the payments had been made! And all three were in the amounts that I was told to expect.

I'm pretty happy, and send out a 4th box today.

The box of books I mailed on the same day will be paid by check. I'll let you know when that happens.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Mary Linda Bittle - A further financial disaster struck us Monday, so ... Forgive me I'm confused, lol - Can you please explain how you found the buyers to mail your books (& someone else mentioned clothes) to? - And how it's decided the amount of $$ you get paid ? - Thank you :)

• Linda Bittle

I just Googled"sell your stuff" and read some articles.

Since these sites are reselling your stuff they don't offer top dollar. But it is fast, and saves me trying to find a buyer at a higher price.

For DVDs and CDs, Games, and tech stuff : https://www.decluttr.com

I downloaded the app on my phone and scanned the bar code on the DVDs and CDs. It told me instantly how much they would pay. Many were not of interest to them, most were just a few cents, but a few were in the one to five dollar range. The ones they want go into your basket, like when you shop online and then you check out, and print the prepaid UPS label, taped it on the box, and dropped off the boxes.

Pretty much the same for the books, except my old phone wouldn't download that app, so I keyed the ISBN numbers in on my computer. Same basic process, with prepaid labels for the post office. For books : https://www.sellbackyourbook.com

I don't have any experience selling clothes. Mine are too worn out to sell by the time I'm done, or they are cheap ones that no one wants to buy. Perhaps someone else will give details.

• ines871
    ines871 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @Mary Linda Bittle for kindly typing this up. - I need to look into that when I can; but not this month. Way too much else bogging me down.

Today I got together with friends, so I could Focus & think about Gardening ideas... for a couple hours. - I have moved way over 100+ times, & just hate the process. -- Here's wishing you well :) in selling what you want.

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Here in Canada, we r not accepted by these sites just mentioned here, but I spent some time 'creating' acct, learned my lesson, finally..I'll stick w kijiji I guess, & ebay, but thanks for the ideas!

• sallyhoward
    sallyhoward Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the good reminder to declutter and give things a second life.

• Linda Bittle

Updating this post to say that I did receive the check from sellbackyourbook dot com. It took about a month, but was in the agreed upon amount. I have another box to print off the label and get to the post office today.

I've now received 4 PayPal payments from decluttr dot com. They are much faster!

I'm happy with both companies, and will continue to use them as I sort through books and things to keep for the move to Missouri.

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info. My mom recently passed, and we have a closetful of books to tend to...

• Linda Bittle

@MommaMo , I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you find some treasures in her book collection.