Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Growing Herbs Indoors — The Grow Network Community
WHAT'S CHANGING IN 2021 AND HOW TO NAVIGATE IT
a free community call lead by Marjory Wildcraft - LIVE RIGHT NOW

register here➥ howtopreparefor2021.com

Growing Herbs Indoors

chimboodle04chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Growing Medicinals

Talk to me about the different herbs you grow inside for use through the winter! What has worked for you? What have you done to make sure they are healthy during the winter? Did you bring them in from outside or start a fresh crop? Looking to grow more fresh herbs inside for use - any info, experience, or tips are welcome!

Comments

• JensJens Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

I am growing ginger and turmeric inside and I have a small laurel bush which I bring inside in autumn.

Starting of chives and parsley indoors and basil.

In winter I use mainly frozen herbs either frozen pure or with olive oil or microgreen versions of parsley, radish, cress and basil.

• DesireeDesiree Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

I have tried to grow herbs indoors and over winter and have not really had any luck of their surviving. The only one that made it this year is my parsley. I have decided that like Lisa K said, I preserve what I grow throughout spring and summer and then use them throughout winter.

I have been reading on living and eating with the seasons and I think our herbs deserve their seasons too.

• SuperCSuperC Cook at Wahlburgers The Frozen Tundra in the Northern MidwestPosts: 257 ✭✭✭

@chimboodle04 thyme, rosemary, oregano. As long as there is a constant warm 72f temperature in your house during the cold months. In the warm months the thyme and oregano can be planted outdoors as they are perennials.

• herbantherapyherbantherapy Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

I grow thyme and oregano and chives and green onions every winter inside. I keep them in a south facing window with lots of morning sun. They do not use as much water in the winter, but the pot closest to the heater vent dries out quick so watch those microclimates! Most of them grow slower too so be careful not to over harvest they don’t come back as in quick as in the spring/summer months.