Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

A serious danger to bees — The Grow Network Community
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

-Abraham Lincoln

A serious danger to bees

shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭

Warning: I was just given a couple of lantana plants that were left over from a friend's yard. The plants were still in store pots. I noticed a plant marker in one of them that said you don't have to worry about aphids because the plant was pre-treated with neonicotinoids and the EPA says they are safe.

The label stuck to the side of the pot had a cancer warning at the bottom of it.

Alarm bells went off in my head: Here is a flowering plant that attracts, then kills bees!! (And possibly causes cancer to humans.)

I threw the plants in the garbage. I think she bought them at Walmart.

Tagged:

Comments

• toreytorey Posts: 1,677 admin

Good warning to everyone who might be purchasing some of those "factory" produced potted plants. Always best to find a local grower.

• nksunshine27nksunshine27 IdahoPosts: 267 ✭✭✭

@Lisa K yes i noticed that about Bonnie too. they have green houses right next to the snake river here in Idaho and now i noticed the miracle grow symbol on their sign.and they are supposed to be organic here

• LaurieLovesLearningLaurieLovesLearning Moderator Manitoba, Canada 🍁 zone 3, PrairiesPosts: 2,453 admin

It is like a lot of food products in stores. If you see a redesign of a package or a name change, quite often the product contains one or more new ingredients, and it usually is not a positive or healthy change.

• kbmbillups1kbmbillups1 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭

I have been buying my plants and veggies from a local grower's outlet for the last several years. But last year we were at Home Depot so I couldn't help but check out the plants in the garden center. I was shocked at how many of them were pre treated with neonicotinoids. I didn't buy any! But what upset me the most was how many people had their carts loaded with them! I think you have to be on one of these forums or into health or should I say alternative health to have even heard how detrimental neonicotinoids are.