Rosalee de la Forêt: The Wild Spring Feast (Spring 2020)

Comments

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

thats interesting. never thought of nettles in soup ill have to watch it thanks

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nksunshine27 nettle soup is wonderful! I just like to add some chopped leaves to my regular potato soup when I can find them!

• nksunshine27

@Mary Linda Bittle i have to go to the moutains to find nettle but the other day i just found a wonderful source for teasil

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nksunshine27

@Mary Linda Bittle

Good morning ladies!

What in the world is 'teasil' and how is it used?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@nksunshine27 How wonderful to find a patch of teasel! I second @Mary Linda Bittle on the nettle soup. One of my favourite spring things!

@silvertipgrizz Teasel. Dipsacus fullonum sometimes called Fuller's Teasel. The name teasel comes from the large thistle-like seed head which was used to "tease" wool. It is an astringent so good for treating diarrhea. It is diaphoretic and diuretic. Teasel is good for digestion as well as the gallbladder and liver. Helps rid the body of toxins. Rainwater that has collected in the cup at the base of the flower can be used for an eyewash. Its a biennial so you won't get the big seed head until the second year.

• silvertipgrizz

@torey

When you have time, could you list the order of classes I would need to take to grow my herbal knowledge? From little (my present knowledge level) to knowing what one needs to know to help ourselves and our families and others? As well as the people you learned from so I might plan a budget as to make the courses possible.

Question re the 'rainwater that has collected in the cup at the base of the flower' ... Would there not be soil loosened by the rainwater? and then to introduce into the eyes? I know my ignorance must really be showing now, but how could it be safe from plant base to the eyes?

And thank you for the info on Teasel!!

• silvertipgrizz

@torey

This helps immensely! Thank you much.🦋

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited February 2020

@silvertipgrizz I follow Rosalee on Instagram. You can sign up for email newsletters too.

You can learn a lot for free if you keep your eyes & ears open. Respected herbalists are fantastic at networking and teaching others, so often, you can find out about offerings (free or paid) from another who is worth following.

@torey Fantastic information!

• silvertipgrizz

@Laurie I signed up today and I see there is much awesome information so I'm pretty excited to get started.

Thanks for mentioning this.

• Torey

@silvertipgrizz Rosalee's Taste of Herbs course that she offers annually is an excellent way to get to know which herb to use when you are faced with a number of choices. For example, there are so many diuretics, but which one to use for a particular person? The Taste of Herbs helps to narrow that down and consequently you will have more success treating illnesses. The Herbal Energetics course through TGN helps with those choices as well.

• nksunshine27

evening girls nice to see ya

@torey thank you for correcting my spelling on teasel it was late and its been a very stressful 2 weeks. teasel is also good for treating lyme disease. from what i've read you don a lot of schooling that's cool. i'm partially through my courses at homegrown herbalist. Doc Jones teaches some of the medicine classes for marjory.

@silvertipgrizz teasel is a biannual like mullein you want to harvest the root fall of first year or early spring before the areal parts grow. its also good for lyme disease, diuretic, treat candida over growth, help with jaundice, anti- inflammatory, antispasmodic, diaphoretic, helps with muscle pain, osteoporosis, liver kidney toner, i'm currently taking classes on line trough homegrown herbalist if you want more info let me know he has a lot more you-tube videos that you can watch also

• silvertipgrizz

@nksunshine27 Thank you for that offer. Yes please, share anything you can and have time for. I signed up for his emails after one of his herbal classes done by TGN. I like him as he is funny yet very knowledgeable and serious about teaching people. Just the stuff that doesn't cost. AS I have mentioned before, until I get out of the house payment I presently have, money tight, esp now with planting season here.

Thank you!

• Torey

@silvertipgrizz I'm glad you started this thread so anyone not aware of Rosemary and her many projects could take advantage of this. Can't wait for her book to come out! I am on the pre-order list!

One other very good resource I should have mentioned above is the Northeast School of Botanical Medicine. http://7song.com/ I took a Herbal First Aid course through LearningHerbs and 7Song was the instructor. If you click on the Resources tab, you will get to a huge selection on Botany, Wildcrafting, Body Systems, Specific Health Issues, Medicine Making, etc., with charts and checklists. There is also a section for videos. All freely available. 7Song is a very knowledgeable Herbalist and has a clinical practice as well as the teaching school.

I recommend starting your own materia medica and pharmacopeia. Files on a computer or get big binders with dividers. Then you can keep track of all the little bits and pieces of info that you come across for each plant. When you start taking courses, you will be ahead of the game and the lessons will seem easier. I do mine according to families and then individual genus and species. Partly because so many plants within a family have similar properties and partly because I like the Latin. But you can do it alphabetically or by conditions (diseases/disorders), just so that is makes sense to you to be able to pull up that info. If its done on the computer, then you can cross reference as well with multiple files and its easier to save downloads. In the pharmacopeia section you can keep track of all your recipes, preparation methods, dosages, etc.

Good luck with your learning process. I should warn you, it may become an addiction! :)

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited February 2020

@silvertipgrizz @torey is so wise. 😉 I would want to say that yes, by all means, keep information on a computer, but make sure you print it off too.

I say this because I lost a HUGE project that I was working on, a family cookbook/menu plan with lots of extras. It only takes one thing to take it all away in the blink of an eye, no matter how much you thought you saved it to something safe.

I have started a materia medica. It is organized by common name. Of course, the latin is listed afterward along with the other info.

• Torey

@silvertipgrizz I agree with @Laurie. Backups are so important. I've had my computer crash and have lost everything including some unrecoverable pictures. Now, I back up my computer regularly and do have a lot of printed material but I can see myself if the world comes to a crashing halt. I'll be using up the last of our generator fuel running the printer. :)

• nksunshine27

@torey yes backing up is important i have a separate drive that anything that i want to save of my computer gets copied onto that. also i have thumb drives with the info on. there was one herbal thing i wanted to print out but it was 450 pages so i loaded on the thumb drive and took it down to office max and had it printed off

• silvertipgrizz

@nksunshine27 Just out of curiosity, how much, about how much does 450 pages cost to print? I ask because I can't find ink for my printer anymore, and the last time I found some, there was only one left and I couldn't afford that at that time. Way expensive.

• nksunshine27

@silvertipgrizz it depends on if you get them front to back it was about 40.00 which my ink cartridge definitely wouldn't do that much for that price. oh have you ever thought of getting those ink refills i do that alot with mine

• silvertipgrizz

@nksunshine27 I briefly contemplated it once but how to go about it? I have thrown out all my empties a long time ago. I did see a youtuber on the subj of 'rediculous priced cartriges' and how to refil your empty ones with ink from refill bottles for way cheaper..

• Sandy Forest
    Sandy Forest Posts: 28 ✭✭✭

Teasel does a good job for me when I'm a little too run down and Lyme's kicks me over. My physician, a true, living saint who quietly studied and practiced with holistic techniques so that she could genuinely help her patients, studied with Matthew Wood and many others. She used a variety of techniques with me and set me on a path to steady good health. She handed me two bottles of tincture before me, had me pick up each, one at a time, muscle checked me and asked me which one I liked better. Teasel was the winner each time. It has never failed me, and that experience launched me on a fascination with the herb-a-verse. For now, I am in a study of the herbs that grow on my property. I did not grow up with western herbs, and they are slowly becoming fast friends of mine. Lately, herbs I only knew as weeds have been turning into friends as well.. Rosemary's style of tastng and teaching is working great for me, with aging eyes and little time for thoroughly learning entire books. I admire herbalists who have the diligence and recall that a school would require immensely. Meanwhile, it is still a thrill to continue discovering the little gems peeking out from between my garden veggies.

• silvertipgrizz

@Sandy An enjoyable read. What is 'herb-a-verse'?